Brincliffe Grammar

Left in 1965 when it closed down. I can't say I enjoyed my time there as a 13+ pupil, how we were expected to miss 2 years of GCE education and sit exams alongside 11+ pupils and pass I'll neveer know.

Regards,

Duffems

Hello Michael

My name is Roger Wells and I also left in 1963. I then transferred to ABGS as did you if I remember rightly.  Others who transferred were: Robert Ellsworth, Richard Egan, Stuart Gregory, David McLeavy, Peter Memmott & Mick Lee.  I am still in touch with Robert Ellsworth via email. Several years ago I was in touch with Mick Lee via FriendsReunited. At the time I think he told me that he was living in Dronfield  & that Peter Memmott was living in Worksop. Mick & Peter had also kept in touch with David McLeavy & Richard Egan, who was living in South Africa.

I'm afraid I have no contact details for them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Wishes

Roger Wells

On 03/02/2024 at 09:43, DUFFEMS said:

Left in 1965 when it closed down. I can't say I enjoyed my time there as a 13+ pupil, how we were expected to miss 2 years of GCE education and sit exams alongside 11+ pupils and pass I'll neveer know.

Regards,

Duffems

At secondary modern school we never had a chance to take GCE’s. They weren’t on the curriculum. Had to leave at 15 and move on to a 2 year course at college to eventually be ‘certified!’

echo.

Exactly my point echo beach. I was already in a secondary school not doing a GCE curriculum but, the head thought it was a good idea for a few of us who'd failed the 11+ exam to sit a 13+ which I passed. 

Consequently the 13+ class was already 2 years behind the other pupils in the same year and we all did the same curriculum, we had to catch up and succeed. 

Regards

Duffems 

42 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

Exactly my point echo beach. I was already in a secondary school not doing a GCE curriculum but, the head thought it was a good idea for a few of us who'd failed the 11+ exam to sit a 13+ which I passed. 

Consequently the 13+ class was already 2 years behind the other pupils in the same year and we all did the same curriculum, we had to catch up and succeed. 

Regards

Duffems 

I recall my maths teacher at school telling a few of us who were in the A stream that if he could teach us for another 6 months we would be able to pass GCE in maths but it wasn’t an option. 2 years later we managed it at college along with other subjects.

echo.

Edited by echo beach