Proposed Bus Changes April 2024

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Opps - my apologies - I meant Nottingham, but had just been looking at a Leicester site. Must avoid posting before my second coffee.

Not to worry. I don't think Nottingham station is far from the city centre. Carrington Street I would class as they city centre and the Broadmarsh centre was a stone's throw away. 

If you look at the city of Derby, where the railway station is quite a distance from the city centre, the station has a bus terminal on site with sheltered waiting rooms and with a Derbyshire Wayfarer rail ranger ticket, bus travel in to the city centre is included. So there are similar schemes in operation elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Not to worry. I don't think Nottingham station is far from the city centre. Carrington Street I would class as they city centre and the Broadmarsh centre was a stone's throw away. 

If you look at the city of Derby, where the railway station is quite a distance from the city centre, the station has a bus terminal on site with sheltered waiting rooms and with a Derbyshire Wayfarer rail ranger ticket, bus travel in to the city centre is included. So there are similar schemes in operation elsewhere. 

I'm not worrying - there are much more important things in my life than SF. Strangely enough, I visit Nottingham  fairly regularly, and personally, wouldn't want to walk to the city centre.

Don't quite get what you mean by your second paragraph, but I also visit Derby, so am quite aware of the transport facilities there, although walking from the rail station to the centre is fairly easy - so long as you don't follow the 'recommended' route.

19 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

And which of them would make a person travel a long distance to visit Sheffield?  Clearing beggars wont change the fact that there is nothing in Sheffield to attract tourists. Sorry to burst your bubble but if you take your rose tinted glasses off you will see that.  Improving transport links wont change the fact that there is nothing to come and see, it will just make the disappointment kick in quicker. Sheffield is a formerly prosperous industrial town that has lost a large part of its industry and has struggled and failed to create an identity for itself apart from being close to the peak district, a factor that I doubt has attracted one person to visit.

Hey. I’m coming to visit in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to wander round the Castle Market, have a pint in the Market Tavern, then wander up to Walshs and finish with a nice meal in Davys on Fargate.

Dont knock it until you’ve tried it😜.

• Haha 2

On 15/02/2024 at 15:56, Planner1 said:

How would you expect anyone to know that?

Neither have run a major bus network in recent times, although SYMCA do fund subsidised services.

It would probably still be private sector operators who actually deliver the services under a franchise arrangement. 

Transport for London have been doing this for decades but lose huge amounts of money. Transport for Greater Manchester are the only ones outside London who are actually implementing franchising and they have only just started.

Bus industry people on here will tell you the private sector does it better and the bus network was operated very poorly by the public sector operators pre 1986. Others hark back to the days of cheap fares and will try to tell you it was some kind of utopia.

Its anybody’s guess how it will all pan out. 

Thanks for this. Its not only the cheap bus fares from pre 1986 that made it good, moreso the frequency of the buses and hardly any missing. You didn't need to check a timetable in those days as there were always buses there.

1 minute ago, Retro Queen said:

Thanks for this. Its not only the cheap bus fares from pre 1986 that made it good, moreso the frequency of the buses and hardly any missing. You didn't need to check a timetable in those days as there were always buses there.

Costing the ratepayers a hell of a lot of money.

• Like 1

One factor that no politician will touch with a bargepole is that a lot of the daytime services lose money because they are used primarily by pensioners who don't pay.   The subsidy they receive is very little, I think. 

At the meeting last year about the loss of the 52a bus, a large amount of the pensioners present said they'd be happy to pay a reduced fare, rather than completely free.  Quite a few said they do pay full fare, just so the bus makes some money.  It was a big factor in the useful and well-used S6 service being scrapped a few years ago.

A noble idea, perhaps, for pensioners to pay a reduced fare. The problem with this, I fear, is that what would start off as a reduced fare (and how reduced would this be?) would eventually rise to become a slight reduction on a full fare.

I couldn’t  have a concessionary bus pass until I was almost 66 and I love it and use it as much as possible., although I also pay full fare when using the buses before 9.30am. I would be very sad if the privilege of free travel was taken away.