Proposed Bus Changes April 2024

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

If you say so - but it always has taken longer for me. I'll time it next time I do that trip.

The reply was to a post suggesting 45 minutes for the trip. There will be trips that take longer than 19 minutes and there will be some that take less but none of them come even close to the 45 minutes suggested. Remember also that the train does not leave from a central point in the city so walking time means it is not very competitive time wise and nowhere near competitive frequency wise.

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The reply was to a post suggesting 45 minutes for the trip. There will be trips that take longer than 19 minutes and there will be some that take less but none of them come even close to the 45 minutes suggested. Remember also that the train does not leave from a central point in the city so walking time means it is not very competitive time wise and nowhere near competitive frequency wise.

I agree that they don't take 45 minutes, but a quick check on the train times say even they take a minimum 25 minutes - on dedicated track, however many of them (rail) take much longer.

31 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

No that is the average time for a bus journey.

It used to be 70 minutes from Sheffield to Doncaster on the X78 and that was in the heyday when it was stopping at nearly every stop with crowds of customers.

Guest busdriver1
46 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It used to be 70 minutes from Sheffield to Doncaster on the X78 and that was in the heyday when it was stopping at nearly every stop with crowds of customers.

Please try reading the posts before you reply to them or get an adult to do it for you. Once again you are completely out of context.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Please try reading the posts before you reply to them or get an adult to do it for you. Once again you are completely out of context.

There is no need for such an insolent attitude. The post I was referring to was the one where a poster said it takes 19 minutes from Meadowhall to Doncaster on the X78 bus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I agree that they don't take 45 minutes, but a quick check on the train times say even they take a minimum 25 minutes - on dedicated track, however many of them (rail) take much longer.

The Adwick trains leave the mainline at Holmes junction to enter the branch line in to Rotherham. They then run around the back of Park gate and rejoin the mainline at Aldwarke. Often, they can get held there for some time because of late running CrossCountry or TransPennine service which use the main line to Swinton. Services can also be held in the Hexthorpe area as they wait for a platform at Doncaster.

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

There is no need for such an insolent attitude. The post I was referring to was the one where a poster said it takes 19 minutes from Meadowhall to Doncaster on the X78 bus.

Actually, he didn't say that he said 'the average bus journey takes 19 minutes', not 'the average bus journey between Sheffield and Doncaster takes 19 minutes' - I fell for that, until I realised it was a physical impossibility.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The Adwick trains leave the mainline at Holmes junction to enter the branch line in to Rotherham. They then run around the back of Park gate and rejoin the mainline at Aldwarke. Often, they can get held there for some time because of late running CrossCountry or TransPennine service which use the main line to Swinton. Services can also be held in the Hexthorpe area as they wait for a platform at Doncaster.

And if you check the timetables, you will note that the fastest train Sheffield>Doncaster is scheduled at 25 minutes, most of the others take considerably longer.

• Like 1