Proposed Bus Changes April 2024

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I certainly feel they had dubious reasons, and I suspect some of those are obvious to many people - obviously not you, though.

Of course they SHOULD have known the costs, officers will have briefed them on it - and probably been disregarded if those briefings didn't fit their views. Not that I'm going searching for it, but it would be very interesting to see the 'business case'.

These committees/boards are, as you say made up of councillors, who, if they want to remain in their positions, do as they are told - rather like national parties and the tree-line whip.

Yes, things are sometimes done for political reasons. 

Politicians usually, but not always take the advice of officers.  They don’t have to. They are accountable at the ballot box.

Just now, Planner1 said:

I don’t know any details of the Sheffield one. Perhaps they have a contract in place and will review it at the end or when there is a break clause. (1)

When I worked in Manchester the free bus was used. It ran from outside Piccadilly station so was useful. Bigger city, more people though.(2)

(1) From memory, the Sheffield one is a 'limited time' experiment, with the contract to run it given to SPCT - for, again IIRC, two years.

(2) Fair enough - as you say, bigger city more people - and a different topography.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, things are sometimes done for political reasons. 

Politicians usually, but not always take the advice of officers.  They don’t have to. They are accountable at the ballot box.

The 'Sheffield Connect' was totally politically driven.

Politicians take the advice of officers if that advice fits their agenda. Yes, they are 'accountable at the ballot box', but they are replaced by clones, especially in a city like Sheffield.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Not too bad an idea then you mention tourists visiting Sheffield and make it clear you were just joking.

Why would that be a joke? Sheffield needs more people visiting the city centre. Similar sized cities attract tourists. Sheffield has the Winter Gardens, Millennium Galleries, 2 theatres and a historic canal network. It's a dump right now and tourists seldom visit but the idea is to improve it and that is done by improving transport links and clamping down on beggars to make it a more enjoyable experience. 

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Why would that be a joke? Sheffield needs more people visiting the city centre. Similar sized cities attract tourists. Sheffield has the Winter Gardens, Millennium Galleries, 2 theatres and a historic canal network. It's a dump right now and tourists seldom visit but the idea is to improve it and that is done by improving transport links and clamping down on beggars to make it a more enjoyable experience. 

You think 'tourist' cities - which ones? - don't have street people?

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

And which of them would make a person travel a long distance to visit Sheffield?  Clearing beggars wont change the fact that there is nothing in Sheffield to attract tourists. Sorry to burst your bubble but if you take your rose tinted glasses off you will see that.  Improving transport links wont change the fact that there is nothing to come and see, it will just make the disappointment kick in quicker. Sheffield is a formerly prosperous industrial town that has lost a large part of its industry and has struggled and failed to create an identity for itself apart from being close to the peak district, a factor that I doubt has attracted one person to visit.

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

And which of them would make a person travel a long distance to visit Sheffield?  Clearing beggars wont change the fact that there is nothing in Sheffield to attract tourists. Sorry to burst your bubble but if you take your rose tinted glasses off you will see that.  Improving transport links wont change the fact that there is nothing to come and see, it will just make the disappointment kick in quicker. Sheffield is a formerly prosperous industrial town that has lost a large part of its industry and has struggled and failed to create an identity for itself apart from being close to the peak district, a factor that I doubt has attracted one person to visit.

You underestimate human curiosity and desire to travel. Yes, I agree that Sheffield currently is a **** h0l3 but there ARE attractions such as Winter Gardens etc. I have travelled to visit towns and cities such as Burton On Trent, Birmingham, Bristol, Hartlepool and Bedford. If the beggars are removed, the nightlife will flourish. The city centre will be somewhere people want to spend time in. If the railway station could have tram links to the city centre and the Interchange have bus links to places such as Graves' Park, Magna & Endcliffe Park, it would be much better used. Unfortunately high usage fees levied to bus companies and PTE staff being snitches has deterred bus companies from using it.

7 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

You underestimate human curiosity and desire to travel. Yes, I agree that Sheffield currently is a **** h0l3 but there ARE attractions such as Winter Gardens etc. I have travelled to visit towns and cities such as Burton On Trent, Birmingham, Bristol, Hartlepool and Bedford. If the beggars are removed, the nightlife will flourish. The city centre will be somewhere people want to spend time in. If the railway station could have tram links to the city centre and the Interchange have bus links to places such as Graves' Park, Magna & Endcliffe Park, it would be much better used. Unfortunately high usage fees levied to bus companies and PTE staff being snitches has deterred bus companies from using it.

Inclusive tram links** included in National Rail Tickets