Ideal Or Best Ever Holidays

Several weeks ago I was speaking to a lady who was about to go on her dream holiday that she had been saving up for years.

Apparently you can go for a cruise on a Norwegian Ice Breaker that heads up to the Arctic circle!

Not only a cruise but the crew also dress you in dry suits and let you bob about in the sea for a while.

She is probably there now so I hope that it’s everything that she hoped for as it’s far from cheap.

26 minutes ago, cressida said:

Always wondered what floated your boat - is it one of those mechanical ones you operate?

You and you know who  should go on a cruise,    the Love Boat preferably. :heyhey:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Summer is ending, and the last bank holiday is upon us, get ready for winter.....

I spent all day yesterday counting the beans and sausages in a tin of Heinz baked beans and sausages.

So what about yer hols? where did you go?

Did you enjoy it, or was it a nightmare holiday?

Anybody tried Northern Cyprus, its just Southern Cyprus, only with more soldiers and cheaper carpets.

How about Hue in Vietnam, or New York.

Puerto Rico, no that's madness, unless you like staying in a hotel where the lifeguard has a sub-machine gun.

I'm not to sure about Iceland either, all them Volcanos firing up, if you want peace and quite it would be like rummaging around in a box of Lego, looking for a more impressive yellow brick.

Germany, some nice places in Germany, but not Dresden, yes you get some beautiful restored cobbles but you also get a lot of bitter old men who hate you very much and wish the communists were back.

So what about England.

Apparently Margate supposes to be very nice, although one local says the town is full of yobs and amusement arcades and boarded up shops.

Frankly, I don't recommend Margate, it's the most least accessible place on earth, if you live anywhere else in England , it's easier to get to the Yukon, not that I'd recommend that either, unless you enjoy being bitten by mosquitoes.

I think a seaside town makes sense, Fish, Chips, Vinegar, endless afternoons in the Cafe de Formica, rubbing condensation from the windows and kidding yourself it's getting brighter, walks on the gritty sand in the drizzle, a mug of tea, and then off to an amusement arcade to shoot an alien....

I've got the perfect place to enjoy a good holiday, East Yorkshire.

All the places on the East Coast are still dripping with echo's of the past, fishing and roll-out-the-barrel revelry.

Back in the summer I spent a few days in Whitby and it was perfect, cold, wet windy, and mostly shut.

I bought fish-n-chips and I ate them on a bench overlooking a forlorn looking trawler, it plainly hadn't been out for months because all you can catch these days in Whitby is Chlamydia.

But I loved it, I loved the wiggly little streets and the old cottages and the sea air, I loved the sound of the gulls and the rigging in the sail boats, flapping about in the biting wind.

I also loved the little Hotel I found just North of the Town, a little bit of Knightsbridge wedged between the bleak moors and the rocky shoreline where I spent a couple of idyllic hours looking for sea creatures in slippery ponds.

We've all spent time in a seaside town, it's one of the few bonds we share, France has it's cheese, America has it's Las Vegas, Rwanda has it's litter, but we have the East coast, so for me it's Whitby every time...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Padders

We ended up having a week in a cottage near Porthcawl in S.Wales.The weather was great and daily excursions along the S.Wales coast were great.

The highlight was probably a visit to see the red kites feeding station when around 50 descended to take the food.

The other highlight was to chance across the first opening day of The Mowgli  Indian restaurant chain.It was a training night for the staff and invited friends and relations but somehow we got invited in.All food and drink was free and we were even offered a take away for later😁

Not quite done with holidays this year as we have now booked for a week in Winchester for the Christmas market.

• Like 1

If it’s a UK holiday then I’d choose North Yorkshire anytime.  The dales, the moors, Whitby… I spend most of my holidays at my cottage in Brittany though. Beautiful coastline, lots of lovely walks, quaint little villages, nice people and great food. Lots of happy memories here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Summer is ending, and the last bank holiday is upon us, get ready for winter.....

I spent all day yesterday counting the beans and sausages in a tin of Heinz baked beans and sausages.

So what about yer hols? where did you go?

Did you enjoy it, or was it a nightmare holiday?

Anybody tried Northern Cyprus, its just Southern Cyprus, only with more soldiers and cheaper carpets.

How about Hue in Vietnam, or New York.

Puerto Rico, no that's madness, unless you like staying in a hotel where the lifeguard has a sub-machine gun.

I'm not to sure about Iceland either, all them Volcanos firing up, if you want peace and quite it would be like rummaging around in a box of Lego, looking for a more impressive yellow brick.

Germany, some nice places in Germany, but not Dresden, yes you get some beautiful restored cobbles but you also get a lot of bitter old men who hate you very much and wish the communists were back.

So what about England.

Apparently Margate supposes to be very nice, although one local says the town is full of yobs and amusement arcades and boarded up shops.

Frankly, I don't recommend Margate, it's the most least accessible place on earth, if you live anywhere else in England , it's easier to get to the Yukon, not that I'd recommend that either, unless you enjoy being bitten by mosquitoes.

I think a seaside town makes sense, Fish, Chips, Vinegar, endless afternoons in the Cafe de Formica, rubbing condensation from the windows and kidding yourself it's getting brighter, walks on the gritty sand in the drizzle, a mug of tea, and then off to an amusement arcade to shoot an alien....

I've got the perfect place to enjoy a good holiday, East Yorkshire.

All the places on the East Coast are still dripping with echo's of the past, fishing and roll-out-the-barrel revelry.

Back in the summer I spent a few days in Whitby and it was perfect, cold, wet windy, and mostly shut.

I bought fish-n-chips and I ate them on a bench overlooking a forlorn looking trawler, it plainly hadn't been out for months because all you can catch these days in Whitby is Chlamydia.

But I loved it, I loved the wiggly little streets and the old cottages and the sea air, I loved the sound of the gulls and the rigging in the sail boats, flapping about in the biting wind.

I also loved the little Hotel I found just North of the Town, a little bit of Knightsbridge wedged between the bleak moors and the rocky shoreline where I spent a couple of idyllic hours looking for sea creatures in slippery ponds.

We've all spent time in a seaside town, it's one of the few bonds we share, France has it's cheese, America has it's Las Vegas, Rwanda has it's litter, but we have the East coast, so for me it's Whitby every time...

Have to agree with you about Whitby Padders. I’m going there Wednesday for the day for fish n chips.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Have to agree with you about Whitby Padders. I’m going there Wednesday for the day for fish n chips.

I love Whitby. I wish I could get Scotty to beam it up and teleport it to my side of the Channel

• Like 1

Another vote for Whitby.We had a caravan there for 12 years up near the Abbey and overlooking Saltwick Bay.We never got tired of the area and only let it go as growing grandchildren began to use it less and the site fees became ever higher each year.We decided to explore other areas but still return to Whitby,Sandsend and Runswick Bay every so often.

• Like 4

This morning, Monday 26/8 at 10-00 am,  I sat on the decking outside a cafe at Humnanby Gap south of Filey with my wife, a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich.

The sun was shining, the sky was blue, birds were singing and there was the  sound of the tide lapping on to the beach.

I thought this is paradise and only 2and a half hours from Sheffield.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

I love Whitby. I wish I could get Scotty to beam it up and teleport it to my side of the Channel

I've been to Whitby, with boys when they were small,  even had the pleasure of watching the Morris dancers and went to a clairvoyant there (ahem)

Alec Clifton-Taylor did a series on the place in the 1980s about the architecture,  he was very impressd with the pantiled roofing.