Ideal Or Best Ever Holidays

15 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

I love Whitby. I wish I could get Scotty to beam it up and teleport it to my side of the Channel

Whoever this Scotty is can keep his/her/its hands off Whitby and leave it right where it is, thankyou.😡.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cressida said:

I've been to Whitby, with boys when they were small,  even had the pleasure of watching the Morris dancers and went to a clairvoyant there (ahem)

Alec Clifton-Taylor did a series on the place in the 1980s about the architecture,  he was very impressd with the pantiled roofing.

Wonder whether your clairvoyant’s predictions came true Cressida? Or was it just a case of baloney?

Whitby is also one of my favourite places to visit.

I think the appeal of the place is that it’s unique, quaint and relatively unspoilt. 
Just look at Frank Meadow Sutcliffe’s catalogue of photos of the town, the harbour, the abbey and places like Robin Hood’s Bay, Staithes and Runswick Bay in Victorian times to see how little the architecture has changed in these places. The pantiled roofs, which were introduced from Holland in the early 1600s, and the random building methods used are key to that image.

It’s incorporation into  Bram Stoker’s Gothic horror story about Dracula cemented the place into the public’s consciousness and it’s never lost it’s appeal.

Only ever been there for day trips except once we stayed with relatives in a former captain’s cottage overlooking the harbour. Full of character? I’ll say it was! If only walls could talk.😆

echo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

Only ever been there for day trips except once we stayed with relatives in a former captain’s cottage overlooking the harbour. Full of character? I’ll say it was! If only walls could talk.😆

echo.

Would that be Captain Cook's former abode?

Tell thi what Echo, I can still tackle the 199 steps up to the Abbey without getting out of breath.. (non-stop)

Beat that!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Padders said:

Tell thi what Echo, I can still tackle the 199 steps up to the Abbey without getting out of breath.. (non-stop)

Beat that!

Jeez. I’ve got a sweat on just reading that post. There’ll be nowt like that tomorrow. It’ll off the steam train, into t’chippy, a walk round on the flat, and then the train ome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Beat that!

So can I but it’s hard work carrying the coffins up ready for burial at the abbey.

It also helps that there’s a micro brewery and pub at the top nowadays.😄

echo.

35 minutes ago, echo beach said:

So can I but it’s hard work carrying the coffins up ready for burial at the abbey.

It also helps that there’s a micro brewery and pub at the top nowadays.😄

echo.

I've had a little refreshment in that brewery Echo.  And a smashing pint..

I’ve just masticated in Royal Fisheries on Baxtergate, Whitby. All in haddock meal including mushies, bread and butter and a pot of Yorkshire Tea. £17.50. Top notch snap, clean place, friendly people. Recommended.

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

I’ve just masticated in Royal Fisheries on Baxtergate, Whitby. All in haddock meal including mushies, bread and butter and a pot of Yorkshire Tea. £17.50. Top notch snap, clean place, friendly people. Recommended.

PHEW!

Had to read that twice, I thought not our Yorkie, never..

• Haha 1