Memories Of Sheffield Forum

39 minutes ago, Hopman said:

I sometimes wonder if anyone graduated from Central University...

Ah yes, Timmo's "invention" as I remember. Also liked Lord Chaverley's tales of his hippopotamus, Hortense, Alcoblogs tree penguins of Hillsborough Park. and miniminch's many failures to get off with a woman.

Padders Bar follows in this great tradition.

• Like 3

I used to really enjoy the long, but very funny posts by a certain member. He once said that it took him up to a day to get the post just as he wanted. I believe he became victim to the despot mods & and "I am God" Admin regime, and posts removed, then banned or left. I seem to remember there were others with a good sense of humour. Now all gone due to silly rules and starring out not so crude words. Most of us are over an age where they don't cause offence.

Around that time we had some funny posters, some more serious but very factual. Not so much copy and paste as it is today. They were always open to sensible debate.

I used to remember a For Sale section that was very busy. Well laid out and easy to navigate. Scam merchants were quickly found, named and shamed...remember Dennis? He's still on Gumtree with his 20+ user accounts, all with one star! It was a good section and very few problems with buying/selling reported.

I remember when people weren't scared to ask a basic question in the Computers thread without getting a snide reply from people that really know nothing. It was also a very busy section of the forum. Anything illegal started as a topic would soon have been handled by the Forum Helper, but they got the boot too!

It was a good forum, that was enjoyable to be on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zach said:

I remember when people weren't scared to ask a basic question in the Computers thread without getting a snide reply from people that really know nothing. It was also a very busy section of the forum. Anything illegal started as a topic would soon have been handled by the Forum Helper, but they got the boot too!

It was a good forum, that was enjoyable to be on.

That must been before my time, although in my early years on here I only really looked at the 'Sheffield' board(s). From what I see of the Tech board now, there are people who ask a question, may get a reply, but never really come back. I still check new queries, but the few there are are not in areas I have competence.

45 minutes ago, Resident said:

I remember the old mods and their little clique that they'd allowed to flout the rules constantly but if you weren't in that circle and you put a comma out of place, out came the ban hammer... 

I enjoyed their unwritten policy that is was absolutely fine to libel a large national company who could probably afford to sue you, but woe betide saying anything bad about a local company who probably couldn't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I enjoyed their unwritten policy that is was absolutely fine to libel a large national company who could probably afford to sue you, but woe betide saying anything bad about a local company who probably couldn't. 

Yeah that always seemed weird to me too. 

I have been on this Forum since 2004 and enjoyed mostly the football section which has now well and truly gone down the toilet because of some of the individuals on there.

But it's all about Free Speech and the Mods seem prepared to tolerate the rubbish spouted on there !

Just now, Runningman said:

I have been on this Forum since 2004 and enjoyed mostly the football section which has now well and truly gone down the toilet because of some of the individuals on there.

But it's all about Free Speech and the Mods seem prepared to tolerate the rubbish spouted on there !

I ventured into the footy section once or twice.

Christ, what a bear pit that place is. 

• Like 2

Just now, Runningman said:

Fortunately, it is a section I very rarely visit - the few times I have, I've come away thinking it is an infant school playground.

• Like 2

Just now, RollingJ said:

Fortunately, it is a section I very rarely visit - the few times I have, I've come away thinking it is an infant school playground.

Hey up RollingJ, Couldn't agree more. I've stopped looking at that section!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That must been before my time, although in my early years on here I only really looked at the 'Sheffield' board(s). From what I see of the Tech board now, there are people who ask a question, may get a reply, but never really come back. I still check new queries, but the few there are are not in areas I have competence.

It used to be very busy with some very basic questions on how to do things on an OS to very complex questions. People weren't put off to give their best advice. Now the section just seems to have died to to lack of interest, or fed up with the know it alls that can't or won't admit if someone has a better idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1