Work Till You're 71. Your Thouhts?

Just now, cuttsie said:

I thought burn out would be mining , Building , Steel , Bus driving , bin men and buffers not soft job occupations , May be wrong as usual (LOL)

Certainly mining, building etc bring with them their own hazards. I know that miners often had lung diseases, vibrating fingers etc.

Burn out is similar in symptoms to clinical depression   

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The thing I don't understand about pensions is, if someone hasn't been in paid work then presumably they would get a pension - that wouldn't be the same amount of money someone would receive if the person had worked all their life?

Found this online;

To be eligible for the State Pension you must have reached State Pension age and have paid at least 10 years of National Insurance (NI) contributions. To receive the full State Pension you must have paid 35 years of NI contributions.

If you have never worked, and therefore never paid NI, you may still be eligible for the State Pension if you have received certain state benefits, for example carer’s allowance or Universal Credit.

So yeah, someone could be on benefits their entire life and still get the state pension, presumably for people who cannot work through disability or such.

But I'm sure a scrounger could fiddle the system with enough effort.

• Like 1

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

Found this online;

To be eligible for the State Pension you must have reached State Pension age and have paid at least 10 years of National Insurance (NI) contributions. To receive the full State Pension you must have paid 35 years of NI contributions.

If you have never worked, and therefore never paid NI, you may still be eligible for the State Pension if you have received certain state benefits, for example carer’s allowance or Universal Credit.

So yeah, someone could be on benefits their entire life and still get the state pension, presumably for people who cannot work through disability or such.

That's the frustrating thing.

I've no objection to carers receiving a full state pension. My mate gave up paid full time work to look after his bed bound Mum for over 10 years. He got no next to no help from the state -e.g. respite care, equipment like hoists, saving the taxpayer a fortune. When she died he was treated like scum by the state, as if he was a scrounger.

Yet I know of people who receive Carers Allowance and the person who they're looking after have occasional seizures.

If people want to **** about when they're younger fine, but I'd be very angry if they receive the same money as those who have worked and saved for an occupational pension. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Found this online;

And yet millions of pounds intended for pensions an benefits goes unclaimed because people don't know about them or don't want the hassle of claiming. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The thing I don't understand about pensions is, if someone hasn't been in paid work then presumably they would get a pension - that wouldn't be the same amount of money someone would receive if the person had worked all their life?

The way it used to be (might still be) is if you were on unemployment benefit (and maybe other benefits) the DHSS (if it's still called that) would pay your national insurance  contributions and you would get full pension.

Certainly agree with raising the age for the state pension but that should not mean if you have been sensible and paid into private/work pensions that you have to work till the age of 71 as they should be able to be accessed earlier say 60 onwards.  There is a major care crisis that successive governments have promised action but done nothing about and the savings could go to provide funding to fix that