Recent Bt Email Changes

On the new BT email set-up, which arrived last week on my laptop, I type in the first few letters of the addressee's name, as I used to  - and now, nothing happens.   How do I reinstate the previous system, whereby the most likely email addresses showed by the "To:" and you chose the one you want.? As things stand now, it is a most laborious task.  

Florence Kat

Why have there been no replies to my post?  Is it because no one else has the same problem as me, or because it is so easy to solve that every one thinks there is no point bothering to explain it? Or because I haven't described the problem in an understandable way?

I'd like to know the answer, if there is an answer.  Meanwhile, when I want to send an email, I have to type in the whole of any email address, having first  gone into "Contacts" to find what the address is, or having gone into a previous email from that person to find the email address.  Then I copy it down on paper since I usually cannot remember it. 

Thank you.

Thank you for your replies, RollingJ.  I had never head of the BT Broadband Forum before.  I looked it up, but see no reference to anything like the problem I have.  I do not know what to call the problem I have so that it will be recognised by the automatic sorting out device.  There must be a name for "starting to type in a name and then you get some possible names that you have in your Contacts directory".  Can you suggest what this facility might be called??

@florence katTry opening an account on the BT forum and posting the question there. Maybe ask how you copy your email address book from the previous email setup to the new one? Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have never seen the BT email program - the current or the previous, so I would be making wild guesses if I made any other suggestions.

On 05/02/2024 at 15:23, florence kat said:

On the new BT email set-up, which arrived last week on my laptop, I type in the first few letters of the addressee's name, as I used to  - and now, nothing happens.   How do I reinstate the previous system, whereby the most likely email addresses showed by the "To:" and you chose the one you want.? As things stand now, it is a most laborious task.  

Florence Kat

Hmmm... :huh:

I wonder if this might help you?
https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Login-email-autofill-disabled/td-p/2241254

It's specifically for logging in, not addressee's names, but the replies might give you a clue?

Maybe the "autofill" is disabled? :)

• Like 1

Thank you RollingJ and Mr Bloke for guiding me to two possible sources of help. "Autofill" seems to be what I am after. I have found meanwhile that if you click on the "To:", up comes the Contacts list, and you scroll down that to find what you want, and then transfer it to the "To:".  So that's better than nothing, but still a bit laborious.  I shall persevere. I always dislike BT's "updates", especially when I am sufficiently satisfied with what I have got at the moment.  

• Thanks 1