Mayor Of South Yorkshire

The first Mayor - Dan Jarvis actually managed to get the Sheffield City Region off the ground. - achieving the near impossible job of getting all the councils and elected officials to sign up to a joint Partnership.

Oliver Coppard is (or seems to be) intent on brining the buses back under Public control, and saving Doncaster airport.

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The first Mayor - Dan Jarvis actually managed to get the Sheffield City Region off the ground. - achieving the near impossible job of getting all the councils and elected officials to sign up to a joint Partnership.

Oliver Coppard is (or seems to be) intent on brining the buses back under Public control, and saving Doncaster airport.

Apart from that - and creating another tier of  governance, what did Jarvis achieve?

Both of Coppards 'intentions' are, IMO, unworkable.

• Like 1

without that extra layer of government, we don't get any devolved-region funding.

if we're *actually* interested (and not just enjoying a good old-fashioned Yorkshire moan), the projects in receipt of regional funding are not kept secret - i'm not a personal googling service.

(off the top of my head: the latest round of Parkway widening, the regeneration of Fargate, and the CastleMarket site ?)

Basically, the government aren't offering grants to cities/regions *unless* they're devolved - that's the system.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

They were working as a city region partnership long before the mayor came along. The government wanted it that way and started to award transport related funding on a city region basis, so the local councils had to work together.

Here they became an MCA to get additional devolved funding.

Others like Leeds city region didn’t  really want a mayor but eventually had to get one in order to get the government money. As far as I’m aware the North East is the only one that doesn’t have an elected mayor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

They were working as a city region partnership long before the mayor came along. The government wanted it that way and started to award transport related funding on a city region basis, so the local councils had to work together.

Here they became an MCA to get additional devolved funding.

Others like Leeds city region didn’t  really want a mayor but eventually had to get one in order to get the government money. As far as I’m aware the North East is the only one that doesn’t have an elected mayor

So now we know why they are , what have they done?

Same round my way, our local regional mayor Steve Rotheram seems to do nothing, while his counterpart in Manchester Andy Burnham comes across as much more of a go getter.

I just don't understand why we need THREE!

Liverpool council votes to scrap three-mayor system

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/21/liverpool-council-votes-to-scrap-three-mayor-system

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

Same round my way, our local regional mayor Steve Rotheram seems to do nothing, while his counterpart in Manchester Andy Burnham comes across as much more of a go getter.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/21/liverpool-council-votes-to-scrap-three-mayor-system

Neither do I, @alchresearch - unless it is a 'jobs for the boys' exercise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

They scrapped the elected council mayor in May 2023 and now have a leader and cabinet system.

Elected local mayor was one of several choices of governance system available to a council.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

So now we know why they are , what have they done?

It’s not difficult to find out, if you are really interested.

There is plenty going on, but the state of the place after 14 years of Tory austerity means that there is a load to do.

Try having more than a quick look at this, this time. It all looks pretty good to me:

https://southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/Mayor-s-Priorities#:~:text=Improving The Economy,-This year%2C the&text=The Mayor hosted South Yorkshire's,available over the past year.