Mayor Of South Yorkshire

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm not 'thinking' - I know, but for you - East/West Sussex and Hampshire.

Different administrative setups. They have county councils and districts.

North Yorkshire was similar but are now setting up an MCA.

Just now, hackey lad said:

Not really , just fed up with the state of this City.

Go live somewhere you think is better then.

Wherever you are, whoever you ask, they invariably think they live in the worst place and their council is terrible.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Enjoying yourselves?

Yes thanks.

Also, there are no PTE's down there, but they have co-ordinated services, ticket acceptance over a very wide area, and, despite some claims to the contrary, fare levels not that much higher than around here.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Different administrative setups. They have county councils and districts.

North Yorkshire was similar but are now setting up an MCA.

Didn't we used to have similar - until some got power-hungry?

Just now, RollingJ said:

Yes thanks.

Also, there are no PTE's down there, but they have co-ordinated services, ticket acceptance over a very wide area, and, despite some claims to the contrary, fare levels not that much higher than around here.

Yeah, the PTE’s are / were in Metropolitan areas ie the ones with the big cities.

Other places had / have a different split of responsibilities. The county council is usually the highway authority and in many ways does what the MCA does here, leads on bids, administers the funding etc.

In North Yorkshire some of their transport bids / funding came through the West Yorkshire CA, so for that they had effectively 3 layers of administration, District, County and CA. That’s how the government wanted it.

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Didn't we used to have similar - until some got power-hungry?

We had a South Yorkshire County Council ( I worked for them) until 1986 when the tories abolished it. The county was the highway authority and as I recall were responsible for education too I think.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Yeah, the PTE’s are / were in Metropolitan areas ie the ones with the big cities.

Other places had / have a different split of responsibilities. The county council is usually the highway authority and in many ways does what the MCA does here, leads on bids, administers the funding etc.

In North Yorkshire some of their transport bids / funding came through the West Yorkshire CA, so for that they had effectively 3 layers of administration, District, County and CA. That’s how the government wanted it.

Understand all that, but they seem much better organised and actually listen to the transport operators, and co-operate with them. I had an interesting three/four hour chat with the previous MD of Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company about three years ago, and was impressed with the way the town.city/county councils and the operators worked together to achieve the best outcome for the public.

• Like 1