Mayor Of South Yorkshire

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Such as? Feel free to counter-point — all the above is from the SYMCA website.

I know where it is from - sorry I called it a press release - but is it factually correct, or, like many council statements, what they would like us to believe?

I may come back to it later, but I need to do some other stuff tonight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Active Travel

Oliver Coppard answering questions at one of the Mayor's question time sessions

Active Travel

In February 2023, triple Olympic cycling champion Ed Clancy OBE was appointed as South Yorkshire’s new Active Travel Commissioner. 

The mayor announced new, innovative measures to grow and build the area’s active plans as part of the region’s ‘Year of Active Travel’ - contributing to making South Yorkshire the healthiest region in the UK, promoting physical activity, green spaces, social inclusion and community engagement.  

The mayor is investing over £160 million to build new active travel projects over the next three years.  

Projects include 80 kilometres of new or improved Active Travel routes, around 100 new or improved crossings, 280 new cycle parking spaces, 40 kilometres of cycleways, and over 1,200 behaviour change activities. 

Plans will introduce the region’s first Dutch-style roundabout in Barnsley, segregated cycle lanes in Rotherham, and innovative cycling and walking routes in Kelham Island.  

Doncaster residents and visitors are already benefitting from improved routes to and from the city centre via resurfaced cycle paths and footways, enhanced street lighting and a new pedestrian crossing at South Parade. The new £7m Porter’s Bridge will also boost public transport, walking and cycling links to South Yorkshire’s major iPort employment site. 

As a region already embracing innovation and future technologies, the mayor is calling for South Yorkshire to become the country’s leader on e-bikes.  

In plans to instil active travel into the hearts of the region’s youth, the mayor will introduce a collaborative plan for local schools to double the number of school streets, with Sheffield’s first secondary school street already introduced at Astrea Academy in January.  

Walking is a central tenet in the Year of Active Travel, with Sheffield due to host the 2024 Living Streets Walking Conference in March. 

Oliver has launched the Mayor’s challenge at parkrun, encouraging residents to get moving more by walking, jogging, running or volunteering at parkrun events in South Yorkshire, aiming to strengthen community bonds and enhance overall health and well-being. Research shows that people who take part in Park Run become healthier and fitter, and go on to take part in activity in a sustained way .

The Mayor’s ambitious plans for active travel set an exciting tone for the future of the region, a greener environment, a healthier community. 

Last paragraph . The Mayors ambitious plans. We all have ambitions . Out of all those things, he capped bus fares which has happened in many places , nothing special there .

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I know where it is from - sorry I called it a press release - but is it factually correct, or, like many council statements, what they would like us to believe?

I may come back to it later, but I need to do some other stuff tonight.

Yes, sorry, wasn’t having a go or correcting you, just crediting where the info came from.

Happy to hear counter-points — I was just finding some information to balance the debate a little.

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - but re: the £2.00 single fare cap : it is a Government scheme: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2-bus-fare-cap

Apppreciated. 

Yes, it is a government scheme, but the mayor did push for the government to enact it, and also enforced it before it was adopted policy, and for longer than anywhere else (I understand)

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

Apppreciated. 

Yes, it is a government scheme, but the mayor did push for the government to enact it, and also enforced it before it was adopted policy, and for longer than anywhere else (I understand)

I wonder where you get that 'understanding' from?

I will have a longer look at the relevant  post tomorrow - it within an area I am particularly interested, and see what other claims in there are, shall we say, 'interesting'.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I wonder where you get that 'understanding' from?

I will have a longer look at the relevant  post tomorrow - it within an area I am particularly interested, and see what other claims in there are, shall we say, 'interesting'.

I remember it from the time it was announced, but found reference here:

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/news/FareCap

Specifically:

“I know cutting public transport costs is a big part of the solution for the thousands of people in our region who rely on our buses and tram network. That’s why we introduced the £2 fare cap early here in South Yorkshire, where it’s needed now - ahead of the government’s planned national scheme - and extended it to include trams.