Sydney To Get A Brand New '30-Minute City' With Car-Free Streets:

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You didn't watch the Jordan Peterson video then?

He puts it far better than I can.

I suggest you watch it.

I'm not wasting my time it's right wing conspiracy theorism, I'm sad you're down the rabbit hole :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I'm not wasting my time it's right wing conspiracy theorism, I'm sad you're down the rabbit hole :(

Started  years ago when  Di and Dodi were supposedly murdered by road accident in Paris.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Started  years ago when  Di and Dodi were supposedly murdered by road accident in Paris.

And men supposedly landed on the moon, but you can't get through the van Allen belt with oven gloves and a piece of tin foil

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melthebell said:

Indeed, it's weird what they seem to get het up about and what they hate, it's like the complete opposites just for the sake of it

This, exactly.

Its always the same people taking a contrarian position.

There is no intellectual's basis for it, just a knee jerk opposition to often perfectly reasonable things.

Its mostly fuelled by social media pumping nonsense from an elite bunch of “influencers” to  the easily influenced. Those algorithms have a lot to answer for.

Still, plenty of people  are getting very rich from it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

From such sources as that 'comedy' in post #22, you mean?

It's supposed to be a little comical to get through to the thickies.  As a concept, you can't fault CBDC, but that's as far as it goes, How long will it be before your Digital Wallet is "Geo Fenced" (It will not work if you go outside your 15-minute City) or you upset the powers that be with a post on FB that they don't like, and decide to fine you, or you're a little over weight so it won't let you buy Chocolate  - Total Control has now gone from You, to the Powers that be. Then there is the possibility of having a Time limit on your digital money, it must be spent in, say, 3 months, or it disappears - there is No Way you can save up for a house, or car etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aardvark6535 said:

It's supposed to be a little comical to get through to the thickies.  As a concept, you can't fault CBDC, but that's as far as it goes, How long will it be before your Digital Wallet is "Geo Fenced" (It will not work if you go outside your 15-minute City) or you upset the powers that be with a post on FB that they don't like, and decide to fine you, or you're a little over weight so it won't let you buy Chocolate  - Total Control has now gone from You, to the Powers that be. Then there is the possibility of having a Time limit on your digital money, it must be spent in, say, 3 months, or it disappears - there is No Way you can save up for a house, or car etc.

The 'thickies' being?

Nice segway folks...

The fact remains that having been initially dismissed as a 'conspiracy theory' by the same people on this forum, 15 minute cities are now happening, not only here in Oxford but in Australia too and in other places too where it is being 'trialled.' 

If that doesn't have 'World Economic Forum' written all over it, what does?

Unfortunately yesterday's 'conspiraacy theories' have a nasty habit of becoming facts...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nice segway folks...

The fact remains that having been initially dismissed as a 'conspiracy theory' by the same people on this forum, 15 minute cities are now happening, not only here in Oxford but in Australia too and in other places too where it is being 'trialled.' 

If that doesn't have 'World Economic Forum' written all over it, what does?

Unfortunately yesterday's 'conspiraacy theories' have a nasty habit of becoming facts...

Oxford is a traffic management scheme, nothing to do with '15 minute cities', and from what I have read on here, the Australian plan is for a brand new  town/city which is always easier to make 'people-friendly' - until it starts to expand.

• Like 2

It's a few years since I left Sheffield; Has someone been putting something strange in the water over there? (apart from sewage of course 😉  )

I can't imagine the following articles will influence those who've disappeared down the rabbit hole; maybe others will read them, and begin to understand where this bilge came from.
Persevere, they are worth a read, and provide a history of the concept, as well as why, and how, it's become hijacked.

Decent  article here 

The 15-Minute City Freakout Is a Case Study in Conspiracy Paranoia
Far-right protesters in the UK claim that Oxford’s traffic-control plan is a part of a global authoritarian plot. What the heck is going on? 

And another by Jasper Jackson; even some Tories are playing to the gullible in a search for votes

What is the 15-minute cities conspiracy theory?

At the Conservative Party Conference 2023, the transport secretary Mark Harper began his list of announcements with a focus on a concept called “15-minute cities”.

“First of all I am calling time on the misuse of so-called 15 minute cities,” he said. “There’s nothing wrong with making sure people can walk or cycle to the shops or school. That’s traditional town planning.

“But what is different, what is sinister, and what we shouldn’t tolerate is the idea that local councils can decide how often you go to the shops and that they ration who uses the roads and when, and they police it all with CCTV.”

In those few sentences, Harper managed to both give a fair definition of what 15-minute cities actually are, and then repeat a conspiracy theory that has no basis in fact, but has become a key strand of conspiracist thinking in the UK and beyond.

And lastly one by Otto English
Manufacturing Discontent: The 15-Minute City Conspiracy

Otto English takes a deep dive into the chilling world of a big new theory that has caught the eye of libertarian influencers, extremists and members of the public alike

• Like 1