We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

I'm sure you'd all love to pay for it.................

As an example, Mont Blanc tunnel between France and Italy is just over 7 miles long and toll  for a car is about £48 one way or nearly £60 return. Queues to use the tunnel are often an hour or more, it is regularly closed for maintenance

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And make massive, possibly fatal, environmental changes

As JeffShaw pointed out in a recent post The Derwent was submerged in 1945 with the need to build two reservoirs. We need even more now and the ability to hold water in catchment areas to stop lower valley flooding.

We are already losing people to flooding and its going to get worse unles more is done.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Perhaps you should look at why tunnels were first invented and then you wouldn't have to ask.

I know why tunnels were invented ,I worked in one of the longest land tunnels in Britain (when it was built ) . I asked how this one would improve things . If you can't answer don't .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

I know why tunnels were invented ,I worked in one of the longest land tunnels in Britain (when it was built ) . I asked how this one would improve things . If you can't answer don't .

It would make the journey east to west extremely quick and extremely safe in any kind of weather.  Think  WHY ,  they tunnelled through the Pennines in the first place.

That was the improvement they were looking for back then,  which I assumed,  everyone knew.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It would make the journey east to west extremely quick and extremely safe in any kind of weather.  Think  WHY ,  they tunnelled through the Pennines in the first place.

That was the improvement they were looking for back then,  which I assumed,  everyone knew.

So it would make it quicker . Have you seen post 111

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I'm sure you'd all love to pay for it.................

As an example, Mont Blanc tunnel between France and Italy is just over 7 miles long and toll  for a car is about £48 one way or nearly £60 return. Queues to use the tunnel are often an hour or more, it is regularly closed for maintenance

Mont Blanc?

Is that the one that caught fire some years ago?

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Why ?

For exanple the Mont Blanc tunnel enforces strict distances between vehicles for safety - when you're three miles from the tunnel entrance and an accident occurs, how do emergency services reach it?

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So it would make it quicker . Have you seen post 111

Have you seen my post ?  I didn't say it would just make it quicker.  It makes it safer, whatever the weather and it makes it cheaper and more convenient.

If it was worth doing in the first place,  they must have thought it was worth it.

If you prefer to live in a country which is behind everybody else with a system that hardly changed for over 100 years,  then I don't mind if you stay in the Victorian era.

Look at Japan's.  look at China's.     in fact look wherever you like among developed nations.  How did they afford it ?   How did they not cause national disaster ?  It's just excuses.

We were the first and built a railway system, the likes of which the world hadn't seen.   Now,  we are the poor relations.

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Mont Blanc?

Is that the one that caught fire some years ago?

Yes, nigh on 25 years ago a lorry caught fire and 39 people died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel_fire

which is why there are strict safety measures in place these days.

The idea that we could have anything but a very short  a tunnel under the Pennines but be able to drive like on the Snake or Woodhead is laughable. 

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why ?

For exanple the Mont Blanc tunnel enforces strict distances between vehicles for safety - when you're three miles from the tunnel entrance and an accident occurs, how do emergency services reach it?

Why what ?