We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That's absolutely correct  -  and now it seems we can't even build a line above ground      and it seems,  we also can no longer afford to do all those things we used to do,   whilst other countries can.

Who was arguing about Rule Brittania a couple of weeks ago whilst forgetting that we used to lead the world whilst there is a queue in front of us now who CAN do things.

Very true. 

All I can say is that some people in Sheffield have very low expectations and absolutely no ambition. They're quite happy to see any amount of money spent down south, but think Sheffield's just not worth it. They'll simply sit and watch Sheffield disappear and become a quiet backwater, bereft of any future and aspirations to improve and better itself.

Good job the Victorians didn't think that way...  

7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If people  the world over are happy to pay the cost,  live with the delay ( which you claim ),  live with the danger ( which you claim ), then they seem like a good idea to everyone except you.

If the evidence satisfies everyone else,  it satisfies me.

11 tunnels ain't exactly the "world over".

Proves nowt about your claim a tunnel under the Pennines would be quicker than what currently exist. Have used the Channel Tunnel many times (the train is quicker than the ferry as rule, and you can't drive it - but still best part of an hour for 20 miles) and the Mont Blanc tunnel a couple of times (the tunnel itself takes about 15 mins - the queue is usually twice that).

The danger is self apparent from the Mont Blanc tunnel fire in 1999.

From this thread it's obvious that it doesn't satisfy everyone else.

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very true. 

All I can say is that some people in Sheffield have very low expectations and absolutely no ambition. They're quite happy to see any amount of money spent down south, but think Sheffield's just not worth it. They'll simply sit and watch Sheffield disappear and become a quiet backwater, bereft of any future and aspirations to improve and better itself.

Wouldn't have lived in Sheffield for 40 odd years if I didn't think it was worth it, Made regular trips across the Pennines - mainly the Snake - with my wife and the kids to see her family on Merseyside. Only once slightly inconvenienced by the weather a couple of times in 30 years so used M62, no big deal.

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very true. 

Stop being silly .

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

11 tunnels ain't exactly the "world over".

Proves nowt about your claim a tunnel under the Pennines would be quicker than what currently exist. Have used the Channel Tunnel many times (the train is quicker than the ferry as rule, and you can't drive it - but still best part of an hour for 20 miles) and the Mont Blanc tunnel a couple of times (the tunnel itself takes about 15 mins - the queue is usually twice that).

The danger is self apparent from the Mont Blanc tunnel fire in 1999.

From this thread it's obvious that it doesn't satisfy everyone else.

II tunnels are just the ones over 8 miles but 10 more than your Mont Blanc which you never stop talking about.

So you claim,  on the strength of ONE fire in ONE tunnel that every one is so dangerous whilst the rest of the world thinks otherwise and goes about it's business without a care.

I look at what they've done and are doing and I listen to  your Mont Blanc episode and that tells me that in general,   people other than you,  like tunnels,   find them useful and are willing to pay for them too.

You are one lone  voice in the wilderness and I'll go along with the rest of the world.

The only people who've backed you on this thread are people who  ALWAYS  disagree with everything I ever say anyway,  no matter what the subject so to me,  tunnels are good. 

I'm closing down and off to bed now so sorry you've had a fruitless evening for your efforts.   We are allowed to disagree anyway.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

II tunnels are just the ones over 8 miles but 10 more than your Mont Blanc which you never stop talking about.

So you claim,  on the strength of ONE fire in ONE tunnel that every one is so dangerous whilst the rest of the world thinks otherwise and goes about it's business without a care.

So none of the other tunnels, like Mont Blanc, the Channel Tunnel, etc have safety measures.

11 people died in a fire in the Gotthard Tunnel in 2001 which resulted in safety measures and therefore long queues,

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/how-should-the-gotthard-road-tunnel-be-made-safe/41958068#:~:text=Following a serious accident in,per hour and per direction.

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

Only once slightly inconvenienced by the weather a couple of times in 30 years so used M62, no big deal.

People South of Sheffield use the A628 and A626 as well which is a nice route.
It's not just about the odd car journey, its commerce & transport from Liverpool to Hull, Ireland to Europe.

3 hours ago, Findlay said:

People South of Sheffield use the A628 and A626 as well which is a nice route.
It's not just about the odd car journey, its commerce & transport from Liverpool to Hull, Ireland to Europe.

Exactly.   He seems to think that the only people who count are the ones who do and think the same as him in a leisure jaunt.