We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

We need a tunnel from parkway to hillsborough, its a nightmare at tea times trying to get home from work. :hihi:

There was rumours that there use to be a tunnel from Sheffield Castle to Manor Lodge where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned.  Now if the old ruins could be found and rebuilt it might help you get home a little bit earlier.

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

One tunnel is not feasible

-far too long for road only.

-too  short for a railway carrying vehicles, journey time and destination problems.

-reluctance to pay tolls

-thePennine geology is immensely complex being at the junction of the shale, limestone and gritstone.

- the only 'tunnel' would be for several shorter tunnels.

A question the planners have worried about ever since Mam Tor was permanently closed is the capacity problem, ie how many lanes. ANY new link due west of Sheffield centre would attract an enormous amount of traffic off the M18, A1(M), A6, A57, A628, M1, A38/A61 and even the M62,  passing through/around Sheffield  their house.  

Previous plans have had to consider ways of reducing demand(tolls) to prevent demand.

Everybody wants the journey from their house to be easier but don't want the passing traffic and the new roads.

The problem of capacity applies equally to the M60 junctions that a new road would have to link to.

Currently the half dozen sub standard alternatives serve to reduce demand spread the congestion around. 

Many Sheffield car and van drivers(and potentially bus passengers)  users will benefit from the  “Mottram Moor Link Road and A57 Link Road project” which has now (nearly)jumped its final legal hurdle.

Thank you for one of the most sensible responses on this topic, @Annie Bynnol

• Like 2

Just now, gaz678 said:

Woodhead railway Doctor Beaching said it was not worthwhile you can still visit and have a look 😉 

Ah   - a rail tunnel, which is not really needed, and yes I know you can visit it.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Ah   - a rail tunnel, which is not really needed, and yes I know you can visit it.

I reckon it could be turned into a road but the cash is better off spent on refugees and unemployment benefits!

11 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

I reckon it could be turned into a road but the cash is better off spent on refugees and unemployment benefits!

To convert the old Woodhead tunnels into a road tunnel for modern vehicles is not practical as I understand. If would be like constructing a new tunnel ,which would involve completely removing the old ones. 

• Like 1