We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

Just now, Meltman said:

To convert the old Woodhead tunnels into a road tunnel for modern vehicles is not practical as I understand. If would be like constructing a new tunnel ,which would involve completely removing the old ones. 

Fair comment 👏 👌 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

There was a tunnel but powers that be closed it and filled it full of waste materials then bricked it up so it can contaminate uninterrupted. 

That's correct and brings us back to the point I was making in that we either cannot do or we cannot afford to do, things which we did in the past.

We built not one but 3 tunnels and now,   one excuse is "We can't do it",   another excuse is "We can't afford it"    and of course there are those who simply say  "It's too hard"

Those who say it can't be done need to wonder how we did the other three.     We were a far greater nation in the past than we are now.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That's correct and brings us back to the point I was making in that we either cannot do or we cannot afford to do, things which we did in the past.

We built not one but 3 tunnels and now,   one excuse is "We can't do it",   another excuse is "We can't afford it"    and of course there are those who simply say  "It's too hard"

Those who say it can't be done need to wonder how we did the other three.     We were a far greater nation in the past than we are now.

Yep I agree 👍 

Edited by gaz678

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

My answers to your comments;

1, We can do it.  It's digging holes, a bit like mining, or digging tunnels under London...but a lot harder. 

2, We can afford it....if we(that is the country,  using our money from our pockets) either dont spend the money on other things such as hospitals, schools, trains, roads, defence etc or raise money money by taxation. 

3, It's not too hard....but it is very hard and that automatically means expensive. 

My thoughts....any new tunnels have to be big enough for  HGV's and ideally intermodal trains ( that's trains with containers on) to make it pay. I'm guessing it would be a toll tunnel, so how much will  vehicles be charged, bearing in mind a sensible pay back time for the construction. Would a motorists in a car pay £50 say just to save maybe 1 hour or a couple of gallon of fuel.  A 44 tonnes HGV probably would pay that  it could mean an extra load with earnings. 

How much would you pay...a, in the summer and b, in the winter to do a journey through a tunnel either driving or on a train wagon.?

1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

Woodhead railway Doctor Beaching said it was not worthwhile you can still visit and have a look 😉 

Nowt to do with Dr Beeching. It wasn’t closed until 1981, so the thick end of 20 years after the so called Beeching cuts. It also wasn’t “filled full of waste materials” as it has high voltage power cables running through it.

Incidentally, the “new” tunnel as it was called, replacing the old single bore Victorian tunnels had electric lighting running the full length of it, so although there isn’t a snowball in hells chance of it being re-opened for traffic, that would be one less problem to sort out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meltman said:

My answers to your comments;

1, We can do it.  It's digging holes, a bit like mining, or digging tunnels under London...but a lot harder. 

2, We can afford it....if we(that is the country,  using our money from our pockets) either dont spend the money on other things such as hospitals, schools, trains, roads, defence etc or raise money money by taxation. 

3, It's not too hard....but it is very hard and that automatically means expensive. 

My thoughts....any new tunnels have to be big enough for  HGV's and ideally intermodal trains ( that's trains with containers on) to make it pay. I'm guessing it would be a toll tunnel, so how much will  vehicles be charged, bearing in mind a sensible pay back time for the construction. Would a motorists in a car pay £50 say just to save maybe 1 hour or a couple of gallon of fuel.  A 44 tonnes HGV probably would pay that  it could mean an extra load with earnings. 

How much would you pay...a, in the summer and b, in the winter to do a journey through a tunnel either driving or on a train wagon.?

1.    Yes we can,  which is what I said.  Others have said we can't,  despite the fact that we've already done 3.

2.    We didn't stop spending money on other things when we dug the other three.  we could easily afford it because we were a great industrial and powerful nation.

3.    Expensive didn't stop us before,  because we were rich and enjoyed showing the world how hard and expensive things could be done by a world leader.

Your thoughts are just guesses  -  mine would be too,   so I have the sense to leave the details to someone better qualified than I am.

I was expecting you to PROVE how you have paid more into this country than I have,   and for longer than  I have,   having said that I worked for British Railways in 1955,  and was a regular soldier in 1957.

I then went into Sheffield trades and managed grinding shops for world famous companies,  and also ran my own business.  You shouldn't make rash statements unless you are sure of your facts.

I would guess you are quite a bit younger than me but I still have to pay my taxes. and most likely started before you did. 

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I was expecting you to PROVE how you have paid more into this country than I have,   and for longer than  I have,   having said that I worked for British Railways in 1955,  and was a regular soldier in 1957.

Perhaps you should have asked that question in your post #192 that Meltman was responding to.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Perhaps you should have asked that question in your post #192 that Meltman was responding to.

Just a thought.

I'm quite sure I did though I don't recall the number of the post and there are no hard and fast rules regarding such.   Information on it's way -

Meltman said in post # 83   "I've been paying to the government longer than you and I don't need to remember that, maybe you do though".

And I said in post  # 85          "How do do figure that you've been paying to the government longer than me ?  I would be very surprised if you have as I was working, on the railways in 1955 and I'm still paying now"

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm quite sure I did though I don't recall the number of the post and there are no hard and fast rules regarding such.   Information on it's way -

Meltman said in post # 83   "I've been paying to the government longer than you and I don't need to remember that, maybe you do though".

And I said in post  # 85          "How do do figure that you've been paying to the government longer than me ?  I would be very surprised if you have as I was working, on the railways in 1955 and I'm still paying now"

Ahhh - you went back a hundred plus posts to nowt to do with a Pennine tunnel.

13 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Ahhh - you went back a hundred plus posts to nowt to do with a Pennine tunnel.

And ?

Don't you have anything better to do ?