We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

If you  Longcol,  go back to those posts,  you will see that we were discussing the Tunnel and the cost and,  in the bottom line I said, regarding the cost. 

"I see the remnants of the proud nation I was born into,  unable to do what most other nations did years ago  because  "we can't afford it"  whilst they can.  WHY"

It's not a good look getting mardy because you can't cope with the debate.   Try with someone else.

I still ask the question  "why can other nations afford to do all these things when we can't,   whether it's   dig a tunnel,  build HS2 or whatever" ?

57 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

1.    Yes we can,  which is what I said.  Others have said we can't,  despite the fact that we've already done 3.

2.    We didn't stop spending money on other things when we dug the other three.  we could easily afford it because we were a great industrial and powerful nation.

3.    Expensive didn't stop us before,  because we were rich and enjoyed showing the world how hard and expensive things could be done by a world leader.

Your thoughts are just guesses  -  mine would be too,   so I have the sense to leave the details to someone better qualified than I am.

I was expecting you to PROVE how you have paid more into this country than I have,   and for longer than  I have,   having said that I worked for British Railways in 1955,  and was a regular soldier in 1957.

I then went into Sheffield trades and managed grinding shops for world famous companies,  and also ran my own business.  You shouldn't make rash statements unless you are sure of your facts.

I would guess you are quite a bit younger than me but I still have to pay my taxes. and most likely started before you did. 

You are a little bit older than me so have been paying into the coffers for slightly longer than me. Why did you have to shout (capital letters usually indicate shouting when used like you did) ,I'm not deaf and can read. It would have been better if you had asked , I wouldn't have minded, and I could have also asked you.  From some of your comments I guessed, obviously wrong, I apologise for that. I  followed in a similar career to yours by the sounds of it. Like mine  your thoughts are also guesses as you say.

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That's correct and brings us back to the point I was making in that we either cannot do or we cannot afford to do, things which we did in the past.

We built not one but 3 tunnels and now,   one excuse is "We can't do it",   another excuse is "We can't afford it"    and of course there are those who simply say  "It's too hard"

Those who say it can't be done need to wonder how we did the other three.     We were a far greater nation in the past than we are now.

Who has said any of those things?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

And ?

Don't you have anything better to do ?

Sure - a bit of research re: the Pennine tunnel proposals.

A feasibility study was announced in 2014 - by Nick Clegg (remember him?).

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30277068

Effectively dropped in 2021

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/trans-pennine-tunnel-plan-between-sheffield-and-manchester-should-be-dropped-3121034

• Like 1

Just now, Longcol said:

Sure - a bit of research re: the Pennine tunnel proposals.

A feasibility study was announced in 2014 - by Nick Clegg (remember him?).

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30277068

Effectively dropped in 2021

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/trans-pennine-tunnel-plan-between-sheffield-and-manchester-should-be-dropped-3121034

Old news.  there have been loads of studies,  some of them quite recent.  They all meet the same fate because the government refuse to pay.

As has been mentioned,  there are all kinds of things to take into account and I accept that,  but my point is -

that we are no longer capable of tackling big projects   ( only  and well away from London, funnily enough )  such as HS2 tunnels etc,  whilst other countries manage to tackle them without any problem.

We were the world leaders and have now become the world trailers and,  as Anna also mentioned,  no one seems to care that northern infrastructure is second rate and investment is denied.

20 minutes ago, Meltman said:

You are a little bit older than me so have been paying into the coffers for slightly longer than me. Why did you have to shout (capital letters usually indicate shouting when used like you did) ,I'm not deaf and can read. It would have been better if you had asked , I wouldn't have minded, and I could have also asked you.  From some of your comments I guessed, obviously wrong, I apologise for that. I  followed in a similar career to yours by the sounds of it. Like mine  your thoughts are also guesses as you say.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Old news.  there have been loads of studies,  some of them quite recent.  They all meet the same fate because the government refuse to pay.

As has been mentioned,  there are all kinds of things to take into account and I accept that,  but my point is -

that we are no longer capable of tackling big projects   ( only  and well away from London, funnily enough )  such as HS2 tunnels etc,  whilst other countries manage to tackle them without any problem.

We were the world leaders and have now become the world trailers and,  as Anna also mentioned,  no one seems to care that northern infrastructure is second rate and investment is denied.

On the back of cheap labour from Irish navvies,  many being killed in accidents or from the squalor of their living conditions.

https://www.bestofbarnsley.co.uk/post/barnsley-tales-3-the-trials-and-tribulations-of-one-of-the-areas-most-beautiful-train-stations

"The notorious Woodhead tunnel is six miles to the west of Penistone and was the longest tunnel in the world at just over 3 miles long.

Joseph Locke was partly in charge of the project. Work began in 1838 and it was completed in 1845. A large number of ‘navvies’ (navigators) mostly Irish, were killed from unsafe working practices. Roof falls and shaft fatalities were commonplace and cholera killed 28 in one day."

Edited by Longcol
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

On the back of cheap labour from Irish navvies,  many being killed in accidents or from the squalor of their living conditions.

https://www.bestofbarnsley.co.uk/post/barnsley-tales-3-the-trials-and-tribulations-of-one-of-the-areas-most-beautiful-train-stations

"The notorious Woodhead tunnel is six miles to the west of Penistone and was the longest tunnel in the world at just over 3 miles long.

Joseph Locke was partly in charge of the project. Work began in 1838 and it was completed in 1845. A large number of ‘navvies’ (navigators) mostly Irish, were killed from unsafe working practices. Roof falls and shaft fatalities were commonplace and cholera killed 28 in one day."

Truth :thumbsup: . Just forgot by some .