We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

(1)  Some would but many others wouldn't.  I,  most definitely wouldn't

(2)  Why does it matter what kind of business ?  You can find every kind of business in large cities and many have branches in more than one city.

(3) What may be logical for you may be seen as illogical by others.

My son's mate worked in Manchester for some government agency,  but there will be all kinds of reasons why people work there.

I thought I remembered that you was a proponent of moving with the times,   and not someone who worked across the road from where you live,  as many did in the old times.

We are all different and would have different answers to the same questions.

(1) I would - if it was my 'perfect job', I would hope it was long-term, and - to me - it would make sense.

(2) True - but those are hardly 'small businesses', are they?

I didn't - for the majority of my working life, anyway - work 'across the road'  - I was 8 or 9 miles away from home, depending on the plant I was working in.

Your last comment is very true - so why do you appear to be suggesting yours is the only correct answer?

2 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Why would you logically do (1) - don’t be daft. 

You might personally - but people with families, kids in school etc might not. 

it’s far more logical to assume that a quicker route to a neighbouring large city would give people the best of both worlds ie opportunities and the ability to not have to move house to get them 

(1) A number of reasons - for me.

Emboldened line - is it?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I was 8 or 9 miles

In commuting terms that isn’t far at all isn’t it.

basically equivalent to  a drive from one side of sheffield to the other.

try getting to Manchester and back everyday over the snake.

Just now, Mkapaka said:

In commuting terms that isn’t far at all isn’t it.

basically equivalent to  a drive from one side of sheffield to the other.

try getting to Manchester and back everyday over the snake.

Never said it was far, and I did it - by public transport - for 25 of the 30 years I was in that job.

If I was working  'in Manchester' for that long - as said above - I would move much closer.

I'm quite sure that,  if London stood where Sheffield is,  there would have been an underground railway to Manchester ( or even the west coast ) ,  just like their "tubes" a hundred years ago.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

To answer Meltman,   although I've been arguing about a tunnel,   I fully agree that any really fast and easy link would serve the purpose and bring us out of the Victorian era.

I'm presuming your reference to the Victorian era is a bit 'tongue in cheek '. You said you worked for the railway in 1955 so should know that...the rails were in short lengths, the joints producing vibration and noise pollution,  the wooden sleepers soaked in carcinogenic creosote, the toilets (if the carriage had one) dumped its contents directly onto the track,the signaling was by levers and wire rope and the steam engines (yes,I love them) produced clouds of smoke.  I know things are not perfect now and improvements need making but we have come a hell of a way since you was a lad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

I'm presuming your reference to the Victorian era is a bit 'tongue in cheek '. You said you worked for the railway in 1955 so should know that...the rails were in short lengths, the joints producing vibration and noise pollution,  the wooden sleepers soaked in carcinogenic creosote, the toilets (if the carriage had one) dumped its contents directly onto the track,the signaling was by levers and wire rope and the steam engines (yes,I love them) produced clouds of smoke.  I know things are not perfect now and improvements need making but we have come a hell of a way since you was a lad.

It was the same as late as the mid to late 70’s when I was a secondman. Walking to the signal box to carry out rule 55 in the dark was no fun. You had to be very careful where you trod. There’s even been cases of tomato plants growing trackside as a result of the discharge from toilets, the seeds being non digestible. I’ll not go any further with this as I’m about to have my tea!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

My reference to Victorian times is because the travelling time is still the same or even worse depending where you go.

I  also know all the major or even minor details which you mention and some you haven't.  The platelayers would tell you that was the way of the world then just the same as every other industry.

I've always loved the old railways but people do keep saying we are living in the  space age now  -  who would believe it ?

I also remember that things were not as fragile  in the old days and our non-reliance on electricity paid off in the war when the trains carried on running so there are always ups and downs.

By the way,  I spent a lot of time on and off trains and loved the clacketty-clack so I don't see modern rail as an improvement although others may.

7 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

It was the same as late as the mid to late 70’s when I was a secondman. Walking to the signal box to carry out rule 55 in the dark was no fun. You had to be very careful where you trod. There’s even been cases of tomato plants growing trackside as a result of the discharge from toilets, the seeds being non digestible. I’ll not go any further with this as I’m about to have my tea!

I would imagine that sometimes,  the signalman could smell you coming and so knew you were waiting,  if the wind was in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I would imagine that sometimes,  the signalman could smell you coming and so knew you were waiting,  if the wind was in the right direction.

Thing was, the purpose of going to the box was to make the signalman aware of your trains presence, and I had to sign the train register book to confirm I had done so. It was a regular occurrence for him to bring the book to the box door, rather than have me trail anything off my boots onto his box floor, all signal boxes being kept in immaculate condition.