We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

1 minute ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Thing was, the purpose of going to the box was to make the signalman aware of your trains presence, and I had to sign the train register book to confirm I had done so. It was a regular occurrence for him to bring the book to the box door, rather than have me trail anything off my boots onto his box floor, all signal boxes being kept in immaculate condition.

Quite so.  There were very many really sensible rules to ensure maximum safety  -  the holding of stocks of detonators being another one.

23 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Quite so.  There were very many really sensible rules to ensure maximum safety  -  the holding of stocks of detonators being another one.

Yep. Bang on Organgrinder. See what I did there after your reference to detonators. And most of those rules date back to Victorian times and many of the rules and safe working practises were developed after accidents.

This was health and safety, before health and safety as we know it had been invented!

However, none of this has anything to do with the thread, which as I see it is :- A few flakes of snow and people want a tunnel from everywhere to everywhere.

Maybe a new thread about the railways is a goer? As long as it doesn’t include owt to do with trolly dollies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

It was the same as late as the mid to late 70’s when I was a secondman. Walking to the signal box to carry out rule 55 in the dark was no fun. You had to be very careful where you trod. There’s even been cases of tomato plants growing trackside as a result of the discharge from toilets, the seeds being non digestible. I’ll not go any further with this as I’m about to have my tea!

100% correct we used to pick tomatoes from Meadowbank sewage works and sell them in royal George pub 😀 😉 👍 

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Yep. Bang on Organgrinder. See what I did there after your reference to detonators. And most of those rules date back to Victorian times and many of the rules and safe working practises were developed after accidents.

This was health and safety, before health and safety as we know it had been invented!

However, none of this has anything to do with the thread, which as I see it is :- A few flakes of snow and people want a tunnel from everywhere to everywhere.

Maybe a new thread about the railways is a goer? As long as it doesn’t include owt to do with trolly dollies.

True.  We have strayed from the thread a bit although I think everybody's said their piece now and we still have varying views,  which is the way of life.

I do find it harder to be as enthusiastic about modern railways and feel the magic has gone,  although I still enjoy Portillo's  Great Railway Journeys despite loathing him as a politician.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

True.  We have strayed from the thread a bit although I think everybody's said their piece now and we still have varying views,  which is the way of life.

I do find it harder to be as enthusiastic about modern railways and feel the magic has gone,  although I still enjoy Portillo's  Great Railway Journeys despite loathing him as a politician.

Love to hear the old class 37 growlers lol

29 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

He would'nt have got in the Signal box unless he was clean .

See my post number 250 on this.

39 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Good garden fruit, if we all agreed about everything there’d be nowt to discuss would there. However there’s a big difference between having an opinion and putting it across and blind blundering stupidity which fortunately hasn’t appeared in this thread.

1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

100% correct we used to pick tomatoes from Meadowbank sewage works and sell them in royal George pub 😀 😉 👍 

Give us a clue gaz678, where’s Meadowbank sewage works and t’George pub.

3 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

See my post number 250 on this.

Good garden fruit, if we all agreed about everything there’d be nowt to discuss would there. However there’s a big difference between having an opinion and putting it across and blind blundering stupidity which fortunately hasn’t appeared in this thread.

Give us a clue gaz678, where’s Meadowbank sewage works and t’George pub.

I know mate , I got thrown out of Grindleford signal box because I had boiled egg sarnies for my snap . Had to eat them on the steps outside 😀

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I know mate , I got thrown out of Grindleford signal box because I had boiled egg sarnies for my snap . Had to eat them on the steps outside 😀

Hate to do oneupmanship but Boxing Day 1976 I was 6:00 spare at Tinsley, the three drivers had turkey sarnies, I had boiled eggs. They all wanted to swap!

• Haha 1