We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So why do we need a rail/road tunnel, when there are already three roads and a rail link?

Because we were promised a direct link without going miles out of our way, round in a half circle.

No direct rail link Sheffield to Manchester.

Call them 3 roads to go from Sheffield to Manchester  -  we are sometimes cut off.

You are obviously happy for London or other cities to get all the money.

Edited by Organgrinder

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Because we were promised a direct link without going miles out of our way, round in a half circle.

No direct rail link Sheffield to Manchester.

Call them 3 roads to go from Sheffield to Manchester  -  we are sometimes cut off.

You are obviously happy for London or other cities to get all the money.

When was this 'promise' made?

No direct rail link? - funny , I've used one quite a few times.

Yes, we do, occasionally, usually on one of the three.

Don't see where you get that idea from.

Edited by RollingJ

50 minutes ago, Findlay said:

Parliament approved construction of the A57 snake pass in 1818, engineered by Thomas Telford, and the road opened to the public in 1821. Tolls continued to be collected on the road until 1870.

As central government has not improved the route since, it must fall to the local authorities to plan and implement the building o any improvement.

Would people be prepared to pay a toll to use the road tunnel in order to fund the huge cost?

It could be a similar type channel tunnel rail crossing where you could put your feet up if the builders of that scheme could be influenced to look at the project.

Just to be totally correct....the road wasn't called the A57 in 1818, it was the toll road from Glossop. Roads were designated numbers later, around 1920ish.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

He gets his ideas from the twilight zone.

44 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

:rolleyes:

Not learned how to write yet.

Don't worry, they're opening up some more new nursery places soon,   or so they say>

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Look up the promises  - I don't do research for others.  Wiki will probably tell you.

If you are happy to use a worse system than we had in the 1950's then more fool you.   I suppose that's what someone like you would call "progress"  whilst moving backwards.

I must admit that expensive rail tunnels are useful for laying cables through though,

Meanwhile,  the rest of the world can afford to build High Speed Rail, Bridges, Tunnels and you name it.

Enjoy your "worse than Victorian railway journeys".   whilst the world laughs at you.   I suppose they are slightly better than a stage coach.