We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

Just now, The_DADDY said:

Yeah but he can't take his own advise. Easily one of the most abusive posters on Sheffield Forum that one. 

And you are talking about a Pennine tunnel in that post ?

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Don't change the subject.    I was on topic but Hackey interrupted without words.

I still say we need a tunnel under the Pennines so that people can travel as if it were the 21 century and not the 19th..

I didn't change the subject - you decided to do what you complained about me doing -so I returned the compliment.

You can travel as it is the 21st century - as  people are.  A tunnel under the Pennines is (a) a near impossible dream and (b) environmentally and financially unbelievably expensive.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Yeah but he can't take his own advise. Easily one of the most abusive posters on Sheffield Forum that one. 

True.

Just now, RollingJ said:

I didn't change the subject - you decided to do what you complained about me doing -so I returned the compliment.

You can travel as it is the 21st century - as  people are.  A tunnel under the Pennines is (a) a near impossible dream and (b) environmentally and financially unbelievably expensive.

True.

Exactly as I said.  We are the only major country that can't afford it.  Cheapo Victorian rail for cheapo backward travellers.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Exactly as I said.  We are the only major country that can't afford it.  Cheapo Victorian rail for cheapo backward travellers.

Other counties don't have the Pennines. And what is 'Victorian' about the rail network, except that much of it was built then, but now operates using modern power units - apart from Heritage lines, there are no steam trains in operation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Other counties don't have the Pennines. And what is 'Victorian' about the rail network, except that much of it was built then, but now operates using modern power units - apart from Heritage lines, there are no steam trains in operation.

Other countries have far bigger mountains than the Pennines.

You said it yourself "much of it was built then" in the Victorian age.

Modern power unites ?  don't make me laugh.      Still running on diesel.

A cheapo railway for cheapo travellers,  as I said.

for God's sake,  don't go on the internet to see how other "modern progressive" nations travel.

Even an environmentalist knows that some things still have to be done even if there is a cost.    They are issuing more licenses for coal and oil anyway.

Can you see any other signs of our "environmental" credentials since 2015 ?

Back to your cheapo choo choo.

Edited by Organgrinder

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Other countries have far bigger mountains than the Pennines.

You said it yourself "much of it was built then" in the Victorian age.

Modern power unites ?  don't make me laugh.      Still running on diesel.

A cheapo railway for cheapo travellers,  as I said.

for God's sake,  don't go on the internet to see how other "modern progressive" nations travel.

Even an environmentalist knows that some things still have to be done even if there is a cost.    They are issuing more licenses for coal and oil anyway.

Can you see any other signs of our "environmental" credentials since 2015 ?

Back to your cheapo choo choo.

The network itself was mostly built in Victorian times - the current rolling stock wasn't, and yes a largish number of routes are still diesel, although quite a few are being electrified, and bi-modal units are due to be introduced on others. Still don't get your 'cheapo' jibes, but no matter, I doubt you do either.

Italicised line - so you'd like massive areas of the Peak District to be destroyed, to facilitate a rail/road tunnel you (and many alive today, give the complexity of construction) would most likely never see?

48 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Loads of promises made but they never manage to materialize.  this is probably another https://www.robertlargan.co.uk/news/electrification-hope-valley-line-announced

A good cyclist could bike it quicker.

This is what you compare with the railways in other countries around the world  -  laughable.

Every citizen in London is laughing at you too.  Cross Rail in London = £24 billion and you're satisfied with an old slow Victorian line  -  still diesel.

Welcome to rolling cheapo's railway.

Just playing devil's advocate .....

London's tax contribution to the Exchequor is worth almost as much as the next 37 largest cities tax income combined.

Them Cockney's may well be saying ....'Hey if you lot up north want an improved rail system then start contributing a bit more'. 

• Like 1

As per SF rules, the topic started badly and just got progressively worse, ending ultimately in an argument. 

The M62 is more than adequate for trips to Manchester and so is the Woodhead and the Snake. Infrastructure isnt the problem. Its drivers. A bit of bad weather and all the goons who have difficulty in handling a car in dry conditions are now faced with snow. Does each snowflake fall with a label on it saying "Please Slow Down To 30mph On The Motorway" ??

Idiots everywhere, diving like Miss Daisy with half a ton of snow on their roofs and lights and number plates hidden by snow, tootling along in the middle lane at whatever slow speed they like. Incompetence to the highest point. 

But of course, its the roads which are to blame. Never the useless snozzlewits who are completely oblivious to their actions, causing tailback after tailback with their sheer inability to function as a driver in bad weather. 

But oh no...... we have 6 hours of snow and now we need a tunnel to get to Manchester!!!!! 

No, we really don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1