We Need A Tunnel Under The Pennines

6 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Just playing devil's advocate .....

London's tax contribution to the Exchequor is worth almost as much as the next 37 largest cities tax income combined.

Them Cockney's may well be saying ....'Hey if you lot up north want an improved rail system then start contributing a bit more'. 

That's why I asked the question if anyone would pay a toll to use the tunnel.
No answers so far.
The Channel Tunnel engineering team was a plethora of British & French companies https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil-engineering/what-do-civil-engineers-do/the-channel-tunnel

2 minutes ago, Findlay said:

No answers so far.
The Channel Tunnel engineering team was a plethora of British & French companies https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil-engineering/what-do-civil-engineers-do/the-channel-tunnel

I doubt if many (or any) of the contributors on here would be around to use this mythical tunnel, so asking that question of them is moot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Just playing devil's advocate .....

London's tax contribution to the Exchequor is worth almost as much as the next 37 largest cities tax income combined.

Them Cockney's may well be saying ....'Hey if you lot up north want an improved rail system then start contributing a bit more'. 

Play any games you like.  Surely you know that's the reason everything is kept centralised in London.

Can you remember how various headquarters were to be spread around the country.  A start was made and then it was reversed and Sheffield new Taxes headquarters was closed down again,

Why do you think they enjoyed shutting down the north's industries ?

Doesn't stop  many other countries having extremely modern,  efficient railways and have done for years whilst we can't afford it.

5 minutes ago, Findlay said:

No answers so far.

Makes no difference.

My guess is that everyone will be paying a toll or some kind of road pricing before very long and they won't bother asking you if you like the idea.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I doubt if many (or any) of the contributors on here would be around to use this mythical tunnel, so asking that question of them is moot.

Do you stop making anything then on the basis that  some won't be around to see it ?

That's a strange idea so I'm not surprised that only you thought of it.

We do ALL DIE you know.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Do you stop making anything then on the basis that  some won't be around to see it ?

That's a strange idea so I'm not surprised that only you thought of it.

We do ALL DIE you know.

Nice diversion - but, again, why ask people who won't be around to use it if they would pay to use it?

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Makes no difference.

My guess is that everyone will be paying a toll or some kind of road pricing before very long and they won't bother asking you if you like the idea.

We are paying 'road pricing ' now ,it's just not used specifically for  road building or maintenance .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Nice diversion - but, again, why ask people who won't be around to use it if they would pay to use it?

Nobody IS ASKING.

And they usually don't anyway.