Womersley family research

The Womersleys are a long standing Burncross family, so I'm guessing that you are one of the Burncross lot?

Shame to see flats being built on the house on Hallwood. Everything changes :)

Oh I see.

Its been decades since I was around there. I used to go out with a Womersley who lived further up the road than the bungalow there. Im not even sure theyre there anymore, the last I was of them was back in `81. I know that Mick Womersley, my ex girlfriends brother lived in... I forget the name now... the little village with the sharp S bend in it thats on the way to Thurgoland. Just over the bridge that crosses the Stocksbridge bypass.

This is interesting stuff. I knew the Womersleys were well known in that area, but I didnt realise exactly how big.

The Womersleys are a long standing Burncross family, so I'm guessing that you are one of the Burncross lot?

Shame to see flats being built on the house on Hallwood. Everything changes :)

Have only just started researching this side of the family and I live at the other side of town from Burncross ! What house was at Hallwood ?

By the way , the earliest Womersley I have traced so far is Charles Womersley born in 1796 who lived on Loundside with his wife Hannah and his 6 children Charles ( there are loads of Charles' ), Rebecca, George, Christiana, Elizabeth and Mary. All the men were iron moulders. My great grandmother was Susannah Womersley and she was born in 1866.

Well the Womersley I knew was called Charles Micheal. Im working form a distant memory here because I only went out with his daughter Kathleen for about 8 months.

I think his son, Kathleens brother was called Micheal charles, and from what I remember hes now at the little village I mentioned near to Thurgoland.

You might be as well getting over to Burncross and finding a few of them to save time. There are lots, and many were involved in Burncross Methodist Chapel next to the Crown & Cushion on Chapel Rd. The chapel was knocked down a few years ago and 3 houses are in it's place.:(

From memory it was David Womersley that last lived in the bungalow (I may be wrong). He was a teacher at Windmill Hill Junior School, but he will be getting on a bit now if he's still around. A proper gentleman, and after retirement he was something of a local artist from memory. I would sometimes bump into him while he was out and about with his easel. These clues might jog somebody else's memory, but I think that he will be the 'elder' of the family these days.

2 sons... Mark was one perhaps? Would be coming up to 40 now. Again, that might help.

All in all they were / are very nice, what I call "proper" people.

I remember Kathleens father had a gypsy wagon built for him, he owned a couple of horses and each Saturday he would take Kathleen and myself for a ride into Thurgoland in a little governesses wagon to collect home made porkpies from a butchers there.

They were a lovely family even though Kathleens mother hated the very ground I walked on because I was from Parson Cross, and as such, not good enough for her daugthter.

This is surprising because I always thought that the name Womersley was a rare one.