Womersley family research

Hi

I've traced my line of Womersleys back to 1515. The majority of them came from the Hartshead/Cleckheaton/Dewsbury area of West Yorkshire.

I'm related to the Womersleys at Hartshead. My cousin has a lot of info also going back to around about that date, it seems that they started in Hartshead area and someone migrated down to South Yorks in the 1800s. If anyone wants details please PM me and I'll pass email addys on.

• 1 month later...
hello

I am also researching the Womersley connection.

My email is janetrworrall@tiscali.co.uk, which I would prefer

you to use.

My g g grandmother was Susanna Womersley Auntie of the Susanna Womersley mentioned and her mother born 1796 was Hannah.

Thanks

My most recent research shows that your gg grandmother Susannah, was my g grandmother Susannahs aunt ! My information is that your Susannah married George Davy in June 1840 and had 4 children - Albert abt 1845, Bertha abt 1847, Richard abt 1850 and Ann abt 1852. She died in 1853 aged only 31. Can you confirm this or add to it ?

Many thanks.

So does anyone know the meaning of the word "Womersley"? Its origins?

Apparently, in the Domesday book, the village of "Womersley" was entered as "Wilmer's Lea" presumably meaning Field of Wilmer (??) I'm guessing the name was changed over time into "Womersley" Hope that helps...!!!!

Apparently, in the Domesday book, the village of "Womersley" was entered as "Wilmer's Lea" presumably meaning Field of Wilmer (??) I'm guessing the name was changed over time into "Womersley" Hope that helps...!!!!

Thanks for that, Im always interested in the origins of words or names.

• 4 months later...

Have a look at my entry on the previous page - Thanks.

I recall a family of Womersleys living on Stradbroke Road at Richmond in a large Georgian house, formerly called Richmond Hill and which had been turned into a block of flats by the city council. This was in the mid to late 1950's and I think Mr Womersley had some sort of responsible position in the city architect's department.

Stradbroke School was built on the land which was originally attached to this property.

M

I recall a family of Womersleys living on Stradbroke Road at Richmond in a large Georgian house, formerly called Richmond Hill and which had been turned into a block of flats by the city council. This was in the mid to late 1950's and I think Mr Womersley had some sort of responsible position in the city architect's department.

Stradbroke School was built on the land which was originally attached to this property.

M

If he was Lewis Womersley, he designed the Castle Market.