Womersley family research

• 1 month later...

Can you help I am at a stand still with a Mathew Womersley born 1802 Hartshead married to Anne Yates with childrens names Selina who married Samuel Binns, Ellen Yates,Hannah,David,Elizabeth,Joseph,and Benjamin Womersley. Mathew was a wiredrawer by trade

I'm related to the Womersleys at Hartshead. My cousin has a lot of info also going back to around about that date, it seems that they started in Hartshead area and someone migrated down to South Yorks in the 1800s. If anyone wants details please PM me and I'll pass email addys on.

So does anyone know the meaning of the word "Womersley"? Its origins?

The earliest record of my surname is in 1086, when it was written as Wilmeresledge. In 1501 it was Wommersley. In 1509 there was a reference to John Womersley at the Court of Henry V111. Hannah Womersley is recorded as having married Edward Bunn 1n 1789. Reference books show the name to have originated from the village of Womersley, between Doncaster and Pontefract.

It's only a name, irrespective of the spelling. The Womersleys are just the same as other families - no difference at all. We all have to be called something. A friend of mine is called Whomersley. Regards Nigel Womersley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 years later...
Actually it was Allan Womersley, not David. We don't have a David. Allan is my Father's brother, and is around 70 now. He still paints. He has been retired many years now from Windmill School. Sorry, but he has never lived in a bungalow either. He has three sons not two. James, John and Peter.

Re Alan Womersley Alan married my cousin Ena Stevenson of Burncross Road Chapeltown, on the right hand side up the hill past the old swimming baths, and opporsite the senior citizens bungalows. I think one of thier sons live in the house that Ena lived in.I have not seen them for a number of years now.I think he will be around 80 now. I live in Cleethorpes.Sorry if I make mistakes but I am a new comer to this modern tech.derek Broughton

So does anyone know the meaning of the word "Womersley"? Its origins?

The website http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Womersley has an explanation of its Anglo Saxon origins. It does derive, as Nigel has said earlier, from the village which lies about 5 miles SE of Pontefract, the population size of which has not changed for many years.

Until recently Womersley Hall was owned by the Rosse family, the late Lady Rosse being Lord Snowden's mother.

Re Alan Womersley Alan married my cousin Ena Stevenson of Burncross Road Chapeltown, on the right hand side up the hill past the old swimming baths, and opporsite the senior citizens bungalows. I think one of thier sons live in the house that Ena lived in.I have not seen them for a number of years now.I think he will be around 80 now. I live in Cleethorpes.Sorry if I make mistakes but I am a new comer to this modern tech.derek Broughton

Allan Womersley and my Dad were brothers. Sadly, Uncle Allan died in July 2009, after a long illness. He was 78. Aunt Ena and I share the same birthday, January 9.