Double Child Rapist And Murderer Faces Fresh Parole Hearing

9 minutes ago, Axe said:

You are still quoting historic cases.   We are now in the year 2024. 

So?   Miscarriage of justice can still happen.

Last year the Court of Appel granted leave to 569 cases.  Beyond that, the Criminal Cases Review Commission reported 20% rise in claims with over 1400 applications for the 2022/2023 period.

1 minute ago, Axe said:

You are quoting cases that happened over twenty five years ago.  Since then forensics have advanced significantly. 

Just to repeat no DNA was present in either case. For many murders today there will be no DNA,

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So?   Miscarriage of justice can still happen.

Last year the Court of Appel granted leave to 569 cases.  Beyond that, the Criminal Cases Review Commission reported 20% rise in claims with over 1400 applications for the 2022/2023 period.

How many of the 569 cases involved convictions for murder?

58 minutes ago, Axe said:

You are still quoting historic cases.   We are now in the year 2024. 

You wouldn't think so when we have caveman Axe still screaming to put people to death.

Did it stop murders taking place when we had the death penalty ?

11 hours ago, Axe said:

I clearly compared prisons in the 1960's to prisons in the year 2024.  I stand by my comment a modern day prison is more like a holiday camp than a 1960's prison. 

Having never been in a high security prison cell I must concede to your experience.

10 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Having never been in a high security prison cell I must concede to your experience.

You do not need to have been in a high security prison cell to conclude UK prison life is more cushy in 2024 than in the 1960's

10 hours ago, BigPP said:

The Birmingham 6

Guildford 4

Derek Bentley

Timothy Evans 

etc?

I don't agree with the death penalty but as the poster above quite correctly states, DNA and other breakthroughs have been made ensuring those mistakes will not be made again.

Those that are using that as an excuse will be the same that criticise historical figures for what they did and said by judging them by today's moral and ethical standards.

12 minutes ago, Axe said:

You do not need to have been in a high security prison cell to conclude UK prison life is more cushy in 2024 than in the 1960's

People in prison service in the 1960’s (particularly men) had more often than not experienced National Service, had would some of their charges. I spent all my teenage days and early 20’s in the 1960’s and often regret not having this experience. that would be National Service, not prison. However my contemporaries and I were generally well behaved because of our upbringings. My son who is in his 40’s would go ballistic if he witnessed some of the actions of the current great unwashed. Just locking up badly brought up folk because of their lack of good parenting is IMHO not the answer, sadly I don’t have one to this.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't agree with the death penalty but as the poster above quite correctly states, DNA and other breakthroughs have been made ensuring those mistakes will not be made again.

Those that are using that as an excuse will be the same that criticise historical figures for what they did and said by judging them by today's moral and ethical standards.

The law does not insist that there must be DNA evidence to convict so I don't see how it will stop further mistakes from occurring..

You bottom line is just an effort to change the subject and is irrelevant.

Glad you don't agree with the death penalty because the fear of it never stopped murders being committed.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The law does not insist that there must be DNA evidence to convict so I don't see how it will stop further mistakes from occurring..

You bottom line is just an effort to change the subject and is irrelevant.

Glad you don't agree with the death penalty because the fear of it never stopped murders being committed.

The defence for the accused will use the absence of DNA as a reason for a not guilty verdict.  A modern day jury are most likely to expect DNA and other forensic  evidence to be used by the prosecution.  Another factor if the death penalty is brought back a jury will most certainly make sure they are absolutely sure someone accused of murder is guilty before making their mind up.  The prospect of a miscarriage of justice is not a good valid reason not to bring the death sentence back.