Sheffield Roads Nearly As Bad As In 2011

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

So you’re an experienced and qualified highway engineer are you?

I was was chartered engineer years back.
Anyway I was in close support, probably about 6 foot this morning from council staff on a decent road surface taking the kids to school on the A57.
council-tosser.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2024 at 20:32, hackey lad said:

Ok ,I have just reported a big sunken manhole cover , one that cars drive round to avoid . Will come back here when its done . If I can find the thread .

Three weeks now and nothing . Must have run out of yellow spray paint . In the meantime the roundabout on Moss Way is deteriorating  quickly . 

I, for one always thought that the aim of resurfacing was to repair the damage and leave a smooth, flat (well slightly cambered for water runoff) road way. 

I've driven on a number of newly resurfaced roads around the city and they couldn't be considered smooth or flat

On 23/02/2024 at 09:30, Planner1 said:

There are concrete motorways in England, there have been concrete roads in Sheffield.

Concrete roads are awful to drive on. 

IIRC concrete roads were only ever supposed to be temporary, built in the days when tarmac was scarce. 

Most authorities now are replacing the concrete motorways. 1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Resident said:

I, for one always thought that the aim of resurfacing was to repair the damage and leave a smooth, flat (well slightly cambered for water runoff) road way. 

I've driven on a number of newly resurfaced roads around the city and they couldn't be considered smooth or flat

Concrete roads are awful to drive on. 

IIRC concrete roads were only ever supposed to be temporary, built in the days when tarmac was scarce. 

Most authorities now are replacing the concrete motorways. 1

Send in a complaint and let us know how you get on.

No, concrete isn’t just for temporary use. There are circumstances in which it’s considered more appropriate than tarmac and has a lower whole life cost. The downside is that the surface is noisier and more difficult to maintain.

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There are circumstances in which it’s considered more appropriate than tarmac and has a lower whole life cost. The downside is that the surface is noisier and more difficult to maintain.

Leaving it as a dirt track is a lower whole life cost too.  Doesn't mean we want to keep them or get new ones.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

They used to be good.

Well, (a) those Roman roads were still designed by engineers, and (b) they didn't have to cater for cars, HGVs, and anything travelling at more than 4 mph.

1 hour ago, dave_the_m said:

Well, (a) those Roman roads were still designed by engineers, and (b) they didn't have to cater for cars, HGVs, and anything travelling at more than 4 mph.

They built them correctly to do the job needed.     If they built them today to do the job needed,  they would be built to a much higher standard.

When Amey did Sheffield roads,  they did a quick scrape and a skim when they needed much more.

They are not capable of supporting modern buses and trucks such as bin lorries and the massive articulated trucks delivering to shopping centres.

Just build to the standard required in the same way the Romans did.

29 minutes ago, Longcol said:

"An eternity" = forever.

Roman roads lasted a lot less.

Longer than ours though.