Sheffield Roads Nearly As Bad As In 2011

51 minutes ago, hsb98c said:

There is a scathing piece in the Look Local on this - aimed more at the Tree issue but shows how stupid we are in dealing with a major company with NO oversight.

https://issuu.com/looklocalnewspaper/docs/binder1_c9a8a357d027b2

How absurd - the contract is based on the principle of performance self-monitoring.  By Amey themselves!!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 10.03.00.png

I do not believe you are correct in saying there’s no oversight. There is. There is a council team that operates the contract. It’s just that it is smaller in scale than was envisaged when the contract was put in place.

On 19/03/2024 at 13:13, Rockers rule said:

Just been down Manvers.

Not so long ago the road was closed for resurfacing. 

A sailor would feel at home on it.

As your driving along you can see the cars in front bobbing up and down + getting chucked about off line.

Not sure who was responsible, but is this not typical of todays shoddy workmanship :huh:

Keep safe out there 8).

It's the same with pretty much all resurfaced roads lately. 

A case of scrape up the old top layer then stick down a fresh layer without dealing with the issues that caused the surface to deteriorate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

Air bubbles under the tarmac when layed cause it to pre-maturely crumble

better equipment is required to fix this issue

I know this because i work for a company that designs these complex contraptions

There are many reasons that a tarmac surface might fail. That is just one of them.

Edited by Planner1

After periods of heavy rain, there is always potholes in the north east. On the odd occasions we get frost and snow once it starts to thaw that also leaves potholes.  A road has recently been resurfaced in Gateshead and after a heavy downpour of rain that caused some flooding there was a large pothole in the road. Just managed to miss it when driving home. 

Better get used to these pesky things if global warming is expected to cause more rain or until they they find better protection for the roads from the weather.

On 16/04/2024 at 10:57, Planner1 said:

I do not believe you are correct in saying there’s no oversight. There is. There is a council team that operates the contract. It’s just that it is smaller in scale than was envisaged when the contract was put in place.

A while ago I asked you whether there was a certain standard of road repair/reinstatement that utility companies have to adhere to, and I think you said there isn't one. Please correct me if I was wrong.

14 hours ago, carosio said:

A while ago I asked you whether there was a certain standard of road repair/reinstatement that utility companies have to adhere to, and I think you said there isn't one. Please correct me if I was wrong.

I don’t recall saying that.

There are standards for reinstatements and the utilities have to warranty the repairs they do.

This document explains it.

14 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I don’t recall saying that.

There are standards for reinstatements and the utilities have to warranty the repairs they do.

This document explains it.

Thanks for that, I would expect that Amey would be required to renew/repair to the same standards.