Sheffield Roads Nearly As Bad As In 2011

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Amey aren’t building roads, they are maintaining them.

If they fail to meet the contractual requirements, there are severe financial penalties, which are applied.

I don’t think that most drivers are interested in how long the road lasts, just whether it’s usable and safe. Whether it’s resurfaced every 5, 10 or 20 years is not an issue for most drivers.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

As I’ve explained in previous posts, it’s up to Amey how they maintain the roads in order to meet the contractual standards.

They might find it cheaper to do a thin surfacing job more than once in the lifetime of the contract rather than a full depth reconstruction.

It’s their decision and it costs them money if they get it wrong. The council’s contribution is a fixed amount per year.

In the meantime we are living with substandard roads .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Don't like to correct you Hackey Lad but, substandard and dangerous.

Have you reported the faults you’ve seen? 

There are prescribed timescales for fixing faults, but they can only fix them if they are reported.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Have you reported the faults you’ve seen? 

There are prescribed timescales for fixing faults, but they can only fix them if they are reported.

Fully expected this comment . So now it’s our job/ public duty to spend our time reporting  potholes . It would take a lot of time for me to report the potholes in just a 1 mile radius of my home . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

very obviously, that maintenance should have included upgrading the road-bed. This was a no-brainer from the very start.

I have a few cracked tiles in my kitchen - there is NO POINT - AT ALL in just replacing the cracked tiles - i will definitely have to upgrade the floor structure to stop it flexing - causing the cracked tiles.

I would love to know what the contract says about expected durability.

I'm a driver, i'm very definitely interested in how long the road surface lasts. I don't want to spend my time crashing through potholes, or sitting in endless roadworks. The longer the surface lasts the better. There is no world in which a shorter-life is better.

So you’re a qualified highway engineer with substantial experience of specifying PFI contracts are you?

If not I don’t think you are qualified to judge what should or should not be included.

There is no similarity between your kitchen floor and a road other that they might both be either flexible or rigid in construction.

You don’t want a potholed / uneven surface and the contract is supposed to ensure that happens in a timely manner for reported defects. Of course no one wants delays, but whether some maintenance works take place once or a couple of times over a 25 year contract will make very little difference to your experience of delays.

The flexibility in the contract is supposed to allow the contractor to bring their expertise to the table and not be overly prescriptive. Materials and methods will also evolve over that length of time, so allowing for that is an important factor.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Fully expected this comment . So now it’s our job/ public duty to spend our time reporting  potholes . It would take a lot of time for me to report the potholes in just a 1 mile radius of my home . 

Yes it is largely down to the public to report them. There are periodic inspections but they aren’t very often, so the only way anyone knows about a fault is if they are reported.

I report the ones I see near where I live.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yes it is largely down to the public to report them. There are periodic inspections but they aren’t very often, so the only way anyone knows about a fault is if they are reported.

I report the ones I see near where I live.

Oh right . Could I get a council tax rebate for my unpaid work  ?

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Oh right . Could I get a council tax rebate for my unpaid work  ?

Councils all over the country are struggling to provide services or reducing them due to central government funding shortfalls. This is just one example.

The government have significantly under funded road maintenance for decades and there’s an enormous national backlog of repairs.

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Councils all over the country are struggling to provide services or reducing them due to central government funding shortfalls. This is just one example.

The government have significantly under funded road maintenance for decades and there’s an enormous national backlog of repairs.

I thought that was the point of the Amey contract 

• Like 1