Sheffield Roads Nearly As Bad As In 2011

12 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

This feels like it is turning into a bit of a pile-on of @Planner1.

They are simply trying to explain his objective understanding of how it works (which I'll add is largely my understanding too). They aren't necessarily responsible for the contract or workings of it (or indeed the quality of the work), so bare that in mind when discussing it.

Just a note to keep things sensible and debate without getting personal or sarcastic or 'gotcha' style and we'll all find much more out, I think.

Who has “piled on “ Planner 1 ?

30 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Tell me what you think Amey should be doing to identify potholes, bearing in mind your solution needs to be able to identify badly-needed repairs on any square-metre of the vast road network in a city like Sheffield?

I haven’t got a multi billion contract to uphold. What do they do to identify potholes? 

53 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

This feels like it is turning into a bit of a pile-on of @Planner1.

They are simply trying to explain his objective understanding of how it works (which I'll add is largely my understanding too). They aren't necessarily responsible for the contract or workings of it (or indeed the quality of the work), so bare that in mind when discussing it.

Just a note to keep things sensible and debate without getting personal or sarcastic or 'gotcha' style and we'll all find much more out, I think.

Oh dear! :hihi:

I've heard some rubbish on here but that's certainly one from the "good old days" of the forum!

People disagree with a self-appointed voice of SCC and it's "turning into a bit of a pile-on".

No-one is forcing anyone to reply!

I think people are starting to see the way the forum is slowly shifting back to the "agenda driven" days of old and everything that was wrong with it... :roll:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Looks like we're going back to the days of this site being run by the conversation police. 😟 If someone's obviously being abusive then I can understand action being taken but to get involved over a bit of sass seems a bit much.

:thumbsup: it did cross my mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Tell me what you think Amey should be doing to identify potholes, bearing in mind your solution needs to be able to identify badly-needed repairs on any square-metre of the vast road network in a city like Sheffield?

How about this for a thought.🧐

If all Amey staff reported the holes they come across on their way to work :thumbsup:.

Took an alternative route the day after. :thumbsup:.

Then took an another route the day after that (you get the idea) :thumbsup:.

How good would the roads in Sheffield be :banana:

Management, Receptionists, canteen lady's, cleaning staff, even the postman could have a go the week after. :thumbsup:.

Perhaps coach trips into surrounding areas the week after that :thumbsup:.

The futures looking good :thumbsup:

Till then I'll be avoiding the pot holes the best I can :cry:.

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

I haven’t got a multi billion contract to uphold. What do they do to identify potholes? 

Periodic inspections probably, as Planner1 suggested ages ago, long before your post #51. I dare say they rely partly on everything Rockers rule has suggested too:

7 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

How about this for a thought.🧐

If all Amey staff reported the holes they come across on their way to work :thumbsup:.

Took an alternative route the day after. :thumbsup:.

Then took an another route the day after that (you get the idea) :thumbsup:.

How good would the roads in Sheffield be :banana:

Management, Receptionists, canteen lady's, cleaning staff, even the postman could have a go the week after. :thumbsup:.

Perhaps coach trips into surrounding areas the week after that :thumbsup:.

But even then, doing all of that, for a full year, what % of the road surfaces in Sheffield do you think all of the above would actually cover? How many staff do you think Amey have? And if all that amounts to some roads being checked a minimum of once every year, what use is one annual inspection in, say, November, if February/March cold snaps open up potholes a couple of months later? What, it just doesn't get picked up until months later?

Should Amey have patrol vehicles out at all hours of the day, covering every stretch of tarmac a bare minimum of once a week? Helicopter scans? Foot patrols? How much do you think Amey would have demanded in the contract negotiations to cover all that?

Or maybe it's just more cost-effective for people to ring up and report bad potholes once and a while...😏

It seems to me that nobody has any answers,  including Amey and the council and so,  we can fully expect that potholed roads will be a permanent feature of our travels of the foreseeable future.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue with good suspension. Mind you at the junction of Hanover Way and Glossop Road, just where the tram tracks start, there's a huge pot hole that always makes the bus shake and jump when it goes over it. You can hear the driver's change float rattle.