Sheffield Roads Nearly As Bad As In 2011

The Amey contract terms haven't been met, with the council stating it did "not meet the contract requirements in relation to carriageway and footway surfacing" and that they are looking at improvements  aimed at "reducing the number of patches of failed road surface across the city."

Yet all I see are bit of tarmac thrown in a hole, huge swathes of road being fixed  with small patchworks and failed previous repairs coming loose. So I don't agree that it's up to Amey to decide how best to manage it.  Resurfacing with thin layers that fail within years means we're back to a patchwork quilt of bumps, holes and constant damage.  We were promised better than this, we're back to where we were 12 years ago.

Then there is is this little bit of great new from The Tribute: "residents have figured out that the work teams only fill in holes that have been reported to them, so even if there’s a patch of several potholes together on the road, they still only ever do one at a time"

Great use of our money.  And yes, remember this is our money.  Amey are taking us for mugs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Ok ,I have just reported a big sunken manhole cover , one that cars drive round to avoid . Will come back here when its done . If I can find the thread .

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Tut tut tut , stop being silly ,its not their fault  or the councils . We've been told  , its our fault for not reporting things . 

Thought you might try it on with that rubbish, so just to be clear, as I alluded to in my first post, I don't necessarily think Amey are good at doing their job in terms of actually resurfacing and repairing potholes, and I'm no Council/Amey fan but it was you that took offense to the suggestion of the public reporting issues, and that was the point I was responding to.

The fact remains, having potholes/damage reported by the public is still the easiest and most cost-effective way for Amey and the public to keep track of what needs doing. You haven't come up with any cost-effective alternatives, still.

18 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Sorry, I might agree on a lot of the other stuff about the Amey contract, but your reaction here is ludicrous

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Thought you might try it on with that rubbish, so just to be clear, as I alluded to in my first post, I don't necessarily think Amey are good at doing their job in terms of actually resurfacing and repairing potholes, and I'm no Council/Amey fan but it was you that took offense to the suggestion of the public reporting issues, and that was the point I was responding to.

The fact remains, having potholes/damage reported by the public is still the easiest and most cost-effective way for Amey and the public to keep track of what needs doing. You haven't come up with any cost-effective alternatives, still.

My bold:  It's going to be interesting to watch the results of the publics reporting.         I do hope everybody is going to see whether they really put their money where their mouths are.

Both the council  and Amey have got away with bad service for years.

1 hour ago, hsb98c said:

The Amey contract terms haven't been met, with the council stating it did "not meet the contract requirements in relation to carriageway and footway surfacing" and that they are looking at improvements  aimed at "reducing the number of patches of failed road surface across the city."

Yet all I see are bit of tarmac thrown in a hole, huge swathes of road being fixed  with small patchworks and failed previous repairs coming loose. So I don't agree that it's up to Amey to decide how best to manage it.  Resurfacing with thin layers that fail within years means we're back to a patchwork quilt of bumps, holes and constant damage.  We were promised better than this, we're back to where we were 12 years ago.

Then there is is this little bit of great new from The Tribute: "residents have figured out that the work teams only fill in holes that have been reported to them, so even if there’s a patch of several potholes together on the road, they still only ever do one at a time"

Great use of our money.  And yes, remember this is our money.  Amey are taking us for mugs.

Where did that statement come from?

The contract includes penalties, so when Amey don’t meet the specification, it costs them.

Yes I have noted similar. When I report a pothole and mention that there are several others a short distance away, only the one mentioned  first gets filled. I’m not sure why, could be an issue with how Amey get the reports from the council or the way they instruct their operatives. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

My bold:  It's going to be interesting to watch the results of the publics reporting.         I do hope everybody is going to see whether they really put their money where their mouths are.

Both the council  and Amey have got away with bad service for years.

I agree, we should watch carefully how they respond (but that doesn't mean the public don't have an important role in reporting issues). 👍

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Where did that statement come from?

The contract includes penalties, so when Amey don’t meet the specification, it costs them.

Yes I have noted similar. When I report a pothole and mention that there are several others a short distance away, only the one mentioned  first gets filled. I’m not sure why, could be an issue with how Amey get the reports from the council or the way they instruct their operatives. 

Whichever it is, the issue needs addressing.

Bean counters, cheapest possible solutions and a lack of bite from the council to make sure things were done right.  Same happened with Viola on the bin contract.  

The council sign, then the companies get all the power and money.  We're left with feeble excuses, poor work and broken cars again.

Jawbone Hill up from Oughtibridge is about to be patchwork quilted tonight.  Little yellow markers all over the place replacing substandard tarmac.  What was once smooth, will be right back to where it was in 2012 but Amey now makes a profit on it.

And the  utility companies - I remember there being some talk of better monitoring and stricter enforcement of decent work - Just end up slapping in as little as they can get sign off for.  A year later the whole road lifts....