Tram Track Broken At Manor Top — No Trams To Halfway Or Herdings Park

7 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are several crossover points on the network where the trams can cross to the opposite track. Spring Lane for example, naturally has one, as that was the terminus when the tram launched.

That crossover cant be used as a normal in service crossover though as it conflicts with traffic. The only time I ever recall it being used was when the main programme of rail replacement was going on, they had blocked Spring Lane at the City Rd junction and they had marshalls on duty overseeing the reversing and crossing of trams, you couldnt use it on  normal day to day operations. Actually surprised nobody on here has moaned that they should be running trams up to there at the moment.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Just now, hackey lad said:

Daft question? Why can’t the trams continue before and after the break using the turnaround points to return ? 

Ive explained why the Spring Lane one cant be used. There are no other crossover points between the Station and where the fault is.

No idea why they arent doing a Halfway to Gleadless (?) shuttle, suppose most of the traffic on the route is into town so that would be taking people out of the way, may as well just jump on a bus direct at Halfway.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Also to add to the above, I have no idea if any trams were actually "stuck" between the fault and Gleadless, it could be there aren't actually any up there to perform the shuttle. Suppose with the fault being on the inbound side they could send one up there, but they have chose not to. 

Plus this tram would need 24 hour security wherever they choose to stable it between Gleadless and Halfway. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Also to add to the above, I have no idea if any trams were actually "stuck" between the fault and Gleadless, it could be there aren't actually any up there to perform the shuttle. Suppose with the fault being on the inbound side they could send one up there, but they have chose not to. 

Plus this tram would need 24 hour security wherever they choose to stable it between Gleadless and Halfway. 

If they were to use it , it would only need security at night.

Be helpful if the replacement bus stops/ routes were publicised in the city centre, maybe on the bus stops. I couldn’t find where these buses were running from yesterday, so I went into the bus station to enquire at the travel South Yorkshire office and they had no idea, told me to go back up to high street to see if there were any Supertram staff on hand to direct passengers. I was too tired, so just caught 120 bus .

3 hours ago, Lizzie b said:

Be helpful if the replacement bus stops/ routes were publicised in the city centre, maybe on the bus stops. I couldn’t find where these buses were running from yesterday, so I went into the bus station to enquire at the travel South Yorkshire office and they had no idea, told me to go back up to high street to see if there were any Supertram staff on hand to direct passengers. I was too tired, so just caught 120 bus .

A quick Google search would have told you:

bl1.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ive explained why the Spring Lane one cant be used. There are no other crossover points between the Station and where the fault is.

No idea why they arent doing a Halfway to Gleadless (?) shuttle, suppose most of the traffic on the route is into town so that would be taking people out of the way, may as well just jump on a bus direct at Halfway.

Trams have run just between Townend (where there's a crossover) & Halfway & back - for weeks - during previous rail replacement work e.g. when they did City Rd, we had a rail replacement bus between town & Townend with folk then able to board a tram again Townend to continue their journeys towards Halfway.

A number of trams were between those two stops when the break was discovered, but for some unfathomable reason they were all just immediately sent back to the depot (the break's on the outbound track).

So I don't see why they couldn't have at least run the service between Townend & Halfway as they've successfully done in the past - on this occasion, they decided straight away not to bother.

Edited by GleadlessLad

This might have been said already, but one way to increase the amount of money available for maintenance etc would be to collect some fare money. It's been a good while since they actually came round to collect the fare that I'm happy to pay.

• Like 1