Tram Track Broken At Manor Top — No Trams To Halfway Or Herdings Park

5 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Not really circular only sensible if it goes to places people want and bear in mind the fact they need to go through the center of Sheffield as well as the geography not practical especially when you consider just how rare broken rails are

Not circular as in an outer ring. I've touched on this before suggesting a figure 8 or butterfly shape

Edited by Findlay

Just now, Findlay said:

Not circular as in an outer ring. I've touched on this before suggesting a figure 8 or butterfly shape

How and where, considering the engineering/planning/routing requirements, the cost of buying the required land, and the massive disruption that would be involved?

5 minutes ago, Findlay said:

It's very difficult to operate a modern tram network on many roads in the UK. There's not the space on most roads or the landscape wouldn't allow to install tracks without a detrimental impact on pedestrians, other road users and local residents. The benefit wouldn't be there, as they'd only be able to serve main roads which buses already do. What would be beneficial would be more bus services going beyond the main roads and in to housing estates. 

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's very difficult to operate a modern tram network on many roads in the UK. There's not the space on most roads or the landscape wouldn't allow to install tracks without a detrimental impact on pedestrians, other road users and local residents. The benefit wouldn't be there, as they'd only be able to serve main roads which buses already do. What would be beneficial would be more bus services going beyond the main roads and in to housing estates. 

One major problem with that idea - most housing estates do not have suitable roads.

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

One major problem with that idea - most housing estates do not have suitable roads.

Nearly all housing estates have some* roads that are suitable and enable the bus to get closer to people's homes. Examples of this in Sheffield are Bevan Way in Burncross, Thorpe House Avenue in Meersbrook, Charnock Dale Road & Arnold Avenue in Charnock etc.  Many estates will have roads of this size yet have no service running through them, such as the Medlock estate in Handsworth, the Rainbow Estate in Hackenthorpe, Lydgate Lane in Crosspool and Moorthorpe Way in Owlthorpe.

Blackburn Valley Trail was an active railway that goes to Chapeltown with stream side trails North Ecclesfield and Grenoside to Oughtibridge as an outer route or inner route through Wolley Woods to Sheffield Lane Top, past Northern General joining up with Middlewood

Edited by Findlay

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Nearly all housing estates have some* roads that are suitable and enable the bus to get closer to people's homes. Examples of this in Sheffield are Bevan Way in Burncross, Thorpe House Avenue in Meersbrook, Charnock Dale Road & Arnold Avenue in Charnock etc.  Many estates will have roads of this size yet have no service running through them, such as the Medlock estate in Handsworth, the Rainbow Estate in Hackenthorpe, Lydgate Lane in Crosspool and Moorthorpe Way in Owlthorpe.

I don't know any of those areas well enough to comment off the top of my head - maybe if I can find the time, or the inclination, I will check Google maps and see how close a service actually runs to them. I was really thinking of the big (ex-council) estates, and the new ones being built these days - those certainly don't cater for 36 footers, which is the length of the majority of PSV's these day. Yes, there are slightly shorter ones, but they are not in use in sufficient number.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Would you like to point us to any location in the world where they have buses running on every suitable road?

Also, if the buses meandered off around every estate along the route, it would add significantly to the overall journey time, making the bus even less attractive.

• Like 1