Tram Track Broken At Manor Top — No Trams To Halfway Or Herdings Park

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

There will always be streets that are simply a no go. But there could be other streets that back on to them that a bus service could use to save people leg work on the hills. And the 98 goes up the hill to King Ecgbert School anyway.

The area I quoted above is quite a large number of streets, and definitely do not have any other roads that back on to them suitable for a bus service.  The 98 goes to the school and terminates there - true, but it does so on a very large one-way loop that leaves people inside that loop with quite a walk

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The area I quoted above is quite a large number of streets, and definitely do not have any other roads that back on to them suitable for a bus service.  The 98 goes to the school and terminates there - true, but it does so on a very large one-way loop that leaves people inside that loop with quite a walk

It's a shame the M17 bus doesn't go the opposite way around the loop to give people a choice to go the other way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Good luck persuading the government to spend several billions on an enormous extension to the tram network to avoid a risk that might occur what, every 20 or 30 years?

Are you saying there is only a break or fault every 20/30 years  ?

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Are you saying there is only a break or fault every 20/30 years  ?

I don't think he is, but this one appears to be slightly more than a minor break. I don't know, or really want to know, the details, but I am guessing it either needs extensive work, or is in an unfortunate position - no-one wants services disrupted for longer than they need to be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't think he is, but this one appears to be slightly more than a minor break. I don't know, or really want to know, the details, but I am guessing it either needs extensive work, or is in an unfortunate position - no-one wants services disrupted for longer than they need to be.

It's bespoke curved rail that needs to be made to the required angle. 

• Like 1

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

spacer.png

This was reported by The Star as the break.

That is a really, really, close up picture and doesn't indicate the location either side of it - you don't just replace that tiny section.

2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Nearly all housing estates have some* roads that are suitable and enable the bus to get closer to people's homes. Examples of this in Sheffield are Bevan Way in Burncross, Thorpe House Avenue in Meersbrook, Charnock Dale Road & Arnold Avenue in Charnock etc.  Many estates will have roads of this size yet have no service running through them, such as the Medlock estate in Handsworth, the Rainbow Estate in Hackenthorpe, Lydgate Lane in Crosspool and Moorthorpe Way in Owlthorpe.

There was a small bus that ran through the Rainbow estate and it was a godsend for the elderly /infirm , to get them near the shops /doctors . Suppose it was taken off because of cost . 

Do you think Oliver would think about putting it back on ?   Obviously after he's made the airport a thriving financial success of course . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2