Handsworth - Barratt Homes (Gateway)

Hey folks - I’m in need of some advice. I’m currently in the middle of purchasing a house on the Barratt Gateway estate in Handsworth (Stoneycroft Rd) and the conveyancing search has flagged up that the land may be contaminated as it was previously used as a landfill site. It lists the Quarry Road Tip and WH Nuttall & Sons as previous owners of the site but doesn’t give much information as to what the land was used for, type of waste or the remediation works that have been done since. I have seen forums about this estate on here and wondered if any previous or past occupiers of the houses on the estate could give me more insight! TIA.

1 hour ago, alexbaz said:

Hey folks - I’m in need of some advice. I’m currently in the middle of purchasing a house on the Barratt Gateway estate in Handsworth (Stoneycroft Rd) and the conveyancing search has flagged up that the land may be contaminated as it was previously used as a landfill site. It lists the Quarry Road Tip and WH Nuttall & Sons as previous owners of the site but doesn’t give much information as to what the land was used for, type of waste or the remediation works that have been done since. I have seen forums about this estate on here and wondered if any previous or past occupiers of the houses on the estate could give me more insight! TIA.

That’s what you are paying your solicitors for ( if you are using one), just ask them the same question that you are asking us, you can’t get redress from us if we’re wrong.

23 minutes ago, crookesey said:

That’s what you are paying your solicitors for ( if you are using one), just ask them the same question that you are asking us, you can’t get redress from us if we’re wrong.

Apart from making enquiries on standard conveyancing forms, the solicitor or conveyancer might not delve much further if he has already enquired of Town Hall records, that is if there were any recorded about types of waste etc on that site at that time. So, info from existing/former residents might prove useful.

Buxton Quarry Handsworth

Sweetcheeks

• Sweetcheeks
  • Members
  • 805 posts
  • Joined Mar 2006

Hi Newhorizons, I believe the quarries were situated down Finchwell Road. According to Sandra Gillott in her book 101 Things to know about Handsworth, there were six quarries altogether but by 1900 only 3 remained. One of them was owned by the Buxton family [Joseph Buxton I believe]. Quarry Road runs from Finchwell Road to the Parkway and the new estate is built on the quarry site. I believe Buxton's house still stands on Handsworth Road. It looks like the lake was possibly one of the disused quarries.

Hope that this is of some use but would suggest contacting The Handsworth Historical Society who would be able to give you much more information.

13 minutes ago, carosio said:

Buxton Quarry Handsworth

Sweetcheeks

• Sweetcheeks
  • Members
  • 805 posts
  • Joined Mar 2006

Hi Newhorizons, I believe the quarries were situated down Finchwell Road. According to Sandra Gillott in her book 101 Things to know about Handsworth, there were six quarries altogether but by 1900 only 3 remained. One of them was owned by the Buxton family [Joseph Buxton I believe]. Quarry Road runs from Finchwell Road to the Parkway and the new estate is built on the quarry site. I believe Buxton's house still stands on Handsworth Road. It looks like the lake was possibly one of the disused quarries.

Hope that this is of some use but would suggest contacting The Handsworth Historical Society who would be able to give you much more information.

This is so very helpful! Thank you! 

• 6 months later...
On 14/02/2024 at 13:09, alexbaz said:

Currently in the same place as you. Considering buying on Stoneycroft Road and this has come up for me. Did anything come out for this?