Sheffield Castle Cam. UPDATE: Culvert Cam!

Guest busdriver1

Genuine question. I think I am correct in saying that the site has had a few buildings on it since the castle - Is that correct?

If it is, how much of the castle remains and is any of it actually identifiable as such?

I just get the feeling we could be making a fuss about some stones that could be part of a castle that disappeared years ago,  because somebody wants a castle. 

I am very much in Favour of the preservation of historic buildings but personally feel if it is not readily apparent what is being looked at then maybe the site could be better used.

Yeah — don’t get your hopes up.

Theres not much castle left — mostly big foundational stones from the old gatehouse/moat.

I’m not sure they’ll uncover much more than that, but it’ll be interesting to see.

However, the camera is a good view of the development itself as it finally comes to fruition.

Looking forward to the 'deculverting' of (at least parts of) the Sheaf  as part of the scheme - assuming it actually happens in my lifetime. Given our city's name the river really ought to be more visible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • SheffieldForum changed the title to Sheffield Castle Cam. UPDATE: Culvert Cam!
7 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Castle Cam is now Culvert Cam!

Next week the concrete and steel culvert over the river Sheaf will be removed for the first time in decades, and you can watch it on the Culvert Cam!

https://www.sheafportertrust.org/culvertcam

Looking at that bottom photo. It states it was taken in 1937. There seems to be a bus that many of us on here would recognise. Could the photo have been taken later, could it be 1957? 

On 25/08/2024 at 16:49, abbeyedges said:

Looking at that bottom photo. It states it was taken in 1937. There seems to be a bus that many of us on here would recognise. Could the photo have been taken later, could it be 1957? 

The bottom photo shows the pre-war C&A building, with its short tower, at the top.  That building was totally destroyed in December 1940, so I think that 1937's correct.

• Like 1

Saw an update on tonight's Calendar.   They're cutting through the concrete in sections & lifting them out so as not to hopefully drop any rubble into the River Sheaf. 

Another thing they mentioned was that they were trying to make sure that they don't disturb a colony of bats roosting down there. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Saw an update on tonight's Calendar.   They're cutting through the concrete in sections & lifting them out so as not to hopefully drop any rubble into the River Sheaf. 

Another thing they mentioned was that they were trying to make sure that they don't disturb a colony of bats roosting down there. 

I think it’s more to do with not disturbing Spring Heeled Jack . 

• Haha 1