Sheffield Castle Cam. UPDATE: Culvert Cam!

Had Oliver Cromwell not ordered the castle’s demolition Adolf Hitler would very likely have obliged. It amuses me that SCC are getting excited about a few stones, whilst they could have done far more to preserve the likes of Manor Castle.

On 29/08/2024 at 11:01, crookesey said:

It amuses me that SCC are getting excited about a few stones, whilst they could have done far more to preserve the likes of Manor Castle.

i assume SCC are hoping that the archaeologists don't find anything the get excited about...

right now, we'll be getting a lovely new park down by the river/s

If they find anything 'exciting' - it'll be fenced off for decades while they slowly excavate and meticulously record every grain of sand. After which, no-one will be allowed to touch anything...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i assume SCC are hoping that the archaeologists don't find anything the get excited about...

If they find anything 'exciting' - it'll be fenced off for decades while they slowly excavate and meticulously record every grain of sand. After which, no-one will be allowed to touch anything...

I understand the archaeology has finished now and work started on the park.

Here’s all the info so far from the archaeologists: 

https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/our-work/sheffield-castle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

They’ll always find something in an area that once housed  castle and a population, however failing the something being treasure galore I tend to agree with you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...