Council Rents Going Up By 7.7% In April

How do other Council tenants feel about this?

I find it very unfair as rents always used to go up a lot less than this in the past. I know Council rents are cheaper than private rents but I still don't know how they can justify the higher rise, especially as they don't bother to do repairs half the time.

I even pay more rent than people in the same type of property as me on my estate (a one bedroomed flat), only because the person who lived there before me had bought it from the Council and sold it back to them. How is that fair?

27 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

How do other Council tenants feel about this?

I find it very unfair as rents always used to go up a lot less than this in the past. I know Council rents are cheaper than private rents but I still don't know how they can justify the higher rise, especially as they don't bother to do repairs half the time.

I even pay more rent than people in the same type of property as me on my estate (a one bedroomed flat), only because the person who lived there before me had bought it from the Council and sold it back to them. How is that fair?

It's not fair buy it then sell it for a vast profit like I did and buy private .

• Like 2

well the idea to sell housimg stock years ago sounded great ,but most  were sold to familys that had a few kids and its once there parents go ,its sell it any way we want the cash and often auction or investers come along and it increases rent,plus scc pulled down many houses ,plus lack of re-build of houses = shortages so it causes big problems , plus add on the goverment taking away loads of cash what can they do,it would help if scc was more carefull with our cash.

Hi, yes I can understand that rents need to go up but why so high when they don't do the repairs half the time?

I don't want to buy my flat. I have a friend who has done that and he can't sell it or move for five years. Not that I am planning to move but I think it will be difficult to sell a Council flat anyway.

19 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

Hi, yes I can understand that rents need to go up but why so high when they don't do the repairs half the time?

I don't want to buy my flat. I have a friend who has done that and he can't sell it or move for five years. Not that I am planning to move but I think it will be difficult to sell a Council flat anyway.

A mortgage might be cheaper than the rent 🤔 

2 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

True but then there's the repairs to pay for and as I am now 61 I don't want to take out a mortgage as the repayments would be high.

Fair comment 👏 

1 hour ago, Retro Queen said:

He can sell the day after buying, but would have to pay all the discount back. The amount would decrease each year up to the 5 year mark then nothing to pay back; assuming the rules haven't changed in the recent past.

Normally, anything over a 5% rise would have to have the figures shared as to why the increase is so high. Could be due to  
1. 7.7% rise in customer satisfaction
2. 7.7% reduction in fuel bills through insulated homes
3. 7.7% reduction in waiting time for repairs

4. 7.7% rise in cost of fixing repairs
5. 7.7% reduction in anti-social behaviour in the area

6. 7.7% better public transport links