Do You Use The Moor Market For All Your Food Shopping Or Only For Bits?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the location. Everything seems to have moved to The Moor now (rightly or wrongly). Simmonite butchers decided to go against the grain and didn't move to the new markets when Castle closed and sadly, they didn't fair well. Plenty of buses go to Moor Markets. I do think the design is good, apart from the grotty orange on the ceiling. I don't buy any of my products for my catering business from there but I have occasionally bought handbags in there and gone there with intent to buy jewellery. The terrace in Moor Markets is great and the toilets are well kept. 

The markets seem to do well for footfall and the same businesses seem to be there year after year, so the turnover must be good. 

That said, does the benefit outweigh the cost of moving and rebuilding the market? I am not sure. It's only a marginally higher footfall than the old one and I don't think there are enough increases in profits and stall holders to justify it and recoup the money put in. It should never have been done on a loan, they should have waited until they had the money saved outright. 

The target market at The Moor is very much lower to working class people on low budgets (except for the hipster real ale stall as you walk in). Naturally when rents increase, the price the customer pays increases. Will the cash strapped housewife continue to use the butchers in the market at increased or go to Iceland and get it cheaper? Markets were traditionally a low cost alternative. Will the business man continue to buy his stationary and briefcases from traders on the markets or will he just pop to F&F at Tesco? 

If traders can't take in enough to pay the loan, spending will have to be cut from elsewhere, such as cutting the manned hours of the information desk, removing toilet facilities and turning the heating off. If the customer experience of the market diminishes then the customer will just get what they need at the local supermarket, rather than carrying heavy shopping bags home from the city centre on the bus. 

A refurbishment of Castle Markets and marketing strategy would have been a more stable solution.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the location. Everything seems to have moved to The Moor now (rightly or wrongly). Simmonite butchers decided to go against the grain and didn't move to the new markets when Castle closed and sadly, they didn't fair well. Plenty of buses go to Moor Markets. I do think the design is good, apart from the grotty orange on the ceiling. I don't buy any of my products for my catering business from there but I have occasionally bought handbags in there and gone there with intent to buy jewellery. The terrace in Moor Markets is great and the toilets are well kept. 

The markets seem to do well for footfall and the same businesses seem to be there year after year, so the turnover must be good. 

That said, does the benefit outweigh the cost of moving and rebuilding the market? I am not sure. It's only a marginally higher footfall than the old one and I don't think there are enough increases in profits and stall holders to justify it and recoup the money put in. It should never have been done on a loan, they should have waited until they had the money saved outright. 

The target market at The Moor is very much lower to working class people on low budgets (except for the hipster real ale stall as you walk in). Naturally when rents increase, the price the customer pays increases. Will the cash strapped housewife continue to use the butchers in the market at increased or go to Iceland and get it cheaper? Markets were traditionally a low cost alternative. Will the business man continue to buy his stationary and briefcases from traders on the markets or will he just pop to F&F at Tesco? 

If traders can't take in enough to pay the loan, spending will have to be cut from elsewhere, such as cutting the manned hours of the information desk, removing toilet facilities and turning the heating off. If the customer experience of the market diminishes then the customer will just get what they need at the local supermarket, rather than carrying heavy shopping bags home from the city centre on the bus. 

A refurbishment of Castle Markets and marketing strategy would have been a more stable solution.

My bold. 

EXCUUUUUUSE ME? 

• Like 1

I come into town by tram.  The Moor is a trek from there for anyone with mobility issues, especially carrying shopping, although I do have a trolley now.    If I was confident of where to get off the tram to pick up a bus nearby, and which bus would bring me back near a tram stop, I would go to the market for some fresh food.  But I’m not, so I don’t.  

I lived in Doncaster for many years and regularly used the market there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Your Friday jaunt a regular thing Cuttsie?

Must have passed each other again.

Any way I shouldn't be talking to you.

Got slapped 3 times on Friday asking people sat on the cold stone seats outside, if they were 'Cuties' :blush:.

Their Rabbit pies look good but make my own. I might treat myself one day.

The Honeycomb Tripe I bought last week was very nice with boiled potatoes, onions and a white sauce 😋

Keep safe, eat well 8)

I was sat on those pile inducers on Friday minding my own business when a bloke sat next me . This was strange as there were many marbles empty with space to stretch out and put bags on seats .

He was a rough looking sod who kept giving me side way glances ,    I asked him if he liked the starlings , He never spoke .

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Wow , I could have wrote that my self ,     Bang on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Refurbishment of the Castle Market building was a non starter. I used to stop there it was run down and not that pleasant also had  anti social behaviour problems needing Police patrols towards the end. Because of neglected state of the place the traders only payed demolition rent hence the lower prices. Like I've said before Haymarket is now dead Wilkos would have still have gone bankrupt along with Show Zone.

1 hour ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I come into town by tram.  The Moor is a trek from there for anyone with mobility issues, especially carrying shopping, although I do have a trolley now.    If I was confident of where to get off the tram to pick up a bus nearby, and which bus would bring me back near a tram stop, I would go to the market for some fresh food.  But I’m not, so I don’t.  

I lived in Doncaster for many years and regularly used the market there. 

The tram system needs expanding not just the basic route it does the economic argument is there. A route to the market and Northern General Hospital can be done and the cost of construction would be returned in time.