Do You Use The Moor Market For All Your Food Shopping Or Only For Bits?

Basset One is referring to Red Brick Markets who put in a planning application for opening a new venture at 99 John Street. They have two existing sites in Liverpool & Birmingham:

Red Brick Markets - The Best Independent Shopping Experience

Permission was granted conditionally in September 2023 (23/02448/FUL) and it looks like news today suggests a spring opening:

Red Brick Market Sheffield: 'Unique' new indoor market opening soon (thestar.co.uk)

Edited by AndrewC

My personal view is places like Red Brick Markets are not really the same kind of place as a traditional market like Moor Market. You won't get butchers or bakers there; they tend to focus more on crafts, bespoke goods, antiques, etc.

There's some overlap, but I would suggest both the retailers and the potential clientele of each are not quite the same groups.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

My personal view is places like Red Brick Markets are not really the same kind of place as a traditional market like Moor Market. You won't get butchers or bakers there; they tend to focus more on crafts, bespoke goods, antiques, etc.

There's some overlap, but I would suggest both the retailers and the potential clientele of each are not quite the same groups.

Was thinking that myself.  I cant see Redbrick being any major threat to the types of traders in the Moor Market.  

What is proposed at Bramall Lane seems to be an attempt to bring something like Manchester's Afflecks to Sheffield.   All quirky traders, vintage clothes, artworks, handmade trinkets and novelty items.   I doubt they will be fully chasing the same clientele as the meat, breadcake,  leggings, and second hand mobile stalls of the Moor Market. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Basset One is referring to Red Brick Markets who put in a planning application for opening a new venture at 99 John Street. They have two existing sites in Liverpool & Birmingham:

Red Brick Markets - The Best Independent Shopping Experience

Permission was granted conditionally in September 2023 (23/02448/FUL) and it looks like news today suggests a spring opening:

Red Brick Market Sheffield: 'Unique' new indoor market opening soon (thestar.co.uk)

That should be fun match day.

53 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Manchester's Afflecks

Ah yes, I knew there was something similar in Manchester but couldn't remember what it was called.

50 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

That should be fun match day.

I'm not sure exactly what your concern is, but I doubt it's going to be such a busy place that it would be that much of a problem. It will deal with big crowds coming past twice a day in a 3-hour period without that much of an issue. There are other businesses on the same road and nearby which co-exist with matchdays now.

Deliveries etc will be earlier in the day than any match kick-off, too. 

36 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Ah yes, I knew there was something similar in Manchester but couldn't remember what it was called.

I'm not sure exactly what your concern is, but I doubt it's going to be such a busy place that it would be that much of a problem. It will deal with big crowds coming past twice a day in a 3-hour period without that much of an issue. There are other businesses on the same road and nearby which co-exist with matchdays now.

Deliveries etc will be earlier in the day than any match kick-off, too. 

What big crowds go past there twice a day ?

29 minutes ago, bassett one said:

you say the new market only overlaps a bit, but why is that overlap not being  brought into the moor market?

Erm, because this is a private operator? You do realise the Council dont operate everything in this city dont you?