Have We Got Used To People Looking Different Now?

I'm afraid the state of the guys is enough to give you nightmares and many of the lasses are even worse.

You could drink a whole barrel of beer and they still wouldn't look as appealing as the girls of the 50's and 60's.

Sobering up and seeing who you've been with must be quite an experience now.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm afraid the state of the guys is enough to give you nightmares and many of the lasses are even worse.

You could drink a whole barrel of beer and they still wouldn't look as appealing as the girls of the 50's and 60's.

Sobering up and seeing who you've been with must be quite an experience now.

I agree, 50's and 60's fashions were beautiful, especially the high end  couture stuff which was actually wearable if unaffordable. Unlike todays gimmicky high end stuff which most people wouldn't be seen dead in. 

20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s,  Men and Women looked as smart as they could either if on a low wage or high wage, In the early fifties my Grandad and Uncle used to go Fishing on the Trent ect wearing Jacket,  shirt and tie and trousers which were tucked in their wellies.  The majority of 18 year olds would go to the pub in suit and tie even on games nights. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s,  Men and Women looked as smart as they could either if on a low wage or high wage, In the early fifties my Grandad and Uncle used to go Fishing on the Trent ect wearing Jacket,  shirt and tie and trousers which were tucked in their wellies.  The majority of 18 year olds would go to the pub in suit and tie even on games nights. 

Very true.  I wouldn't be seen dead without a good suit, shirt & tie in those days together with well pressed trousers and shoes you could see your face in.

Look at photos of the Kray brothers  -  even the gangsters  dressed up smarter than  tailors dummies.

The girls all made an effort to look like Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds & Connie Francis,   and God!!!,   those nylon stockings,  especially with seams,  and suspenders  raised a pulse or two.

Everybody nowadays,  male or female,  looks as if they're going to work down a re-opened pit.

One thing about getting towards the end of your life is that,  at least you know that you have lived in,  and enjoyed,   the very best times that this country has ever seen.

4 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Just my opinion but I think sleeve tattoos look awful on both men and women,  a little rose or something like,  on womens hands or feet I don't mind, infact a nice little touch. 

I agree,  I was considering a little rose to cover a small blemish until LordC said I'd be off his to date list.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Very true.  I wouldn't be seen dead without a good suit, shirt & tie in those days together with well pressed trousers and shoes you could see your face in.

Look at photos of the Kray brothers  -  even the gangsters  dressed up smarter than  tailors dummies.

The girls all made an effort to look like Doris Day, Debbie Reynolds & Connie Francis,   and God!!!,   those nylon stockings,  especially with seams,  and suspenders  raised a pulse or two.

Everybody nowadays,  male or female,  looks as if they're going to work down a re-opened pit.

One thing about getting towards the end of your life is that,  at least you know that you have lived in,  and enjoyed,   the very best times that this country has ever seen.

Barney Goodman, March the Tailors, Burtons and more you could walk in and get made to measure suits,  given my age,   I can't remember a time in the 60s until the mid 70s ever buying a suit off the Peg,  and as for the Lasses WOW!  Two piece suits with hand bags and matching high heels, and  as I have mentioned before going with your date to the Pictures was a class night out,  a coffee or even a meal in the Cinema restauarnt armed with a  box of chocs or Thortons Toffee to sit and  watch a Picture,  the Cinema staff, Ushers with Torches and the Ice Cream lady were smart,  not to mention a Corseage outside Banks and Hotels. Great days. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I agree, 50's and 60's fashions were beautiful, especially the high end  couture stuff which was actually wearable if unaffordable. Unlike todays gimmicky high end stuff which most people wouldn't be seen dead in. 

Can’t say I’ve noticed a fashionable shroud on the catwalk Anna.

Which couturier is peddling those?😃

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cressida said:

Have they completely changed their style,  or can you say 'I recognize them when they wore metal chains'?

some have, some havent, i have, im more "scruffy casual" but some still have coloured hair, studs, rips, leather jackets etc

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

some have, some havent, i have, im more "scruffy casual" but some still have coloured hair, studs, rips, leather jackets etc

Well I don't mind that at all,  don't like the ripped jeans,  or the slack bum trousers though.