The Greatest Ever Sheffielders

3 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

That’s my point exactly.

To become Home Secretary, given his origins and his disability is a remarkable achievement .  Only the most curmudgeonly, biased right wing zealot,  would see things differently.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time with Blunkett. He’s a good man.

And I have met him and his old comrades . For people of power , I’ve never met a more idiotic, childish bunch .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prettytom said:

Maybe they were just trying to make you feel comfortable.

Maybe they were that ignorant they didn’t realise what they come across as to me and others. 
By the way you still haven’t refuted his sackings from these offices of state .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

I mean, it’s a fair question… but maybe rephrase it to..

”How many great offices of state have you been appointed too, or even considered for?”

DB was controversial — and he openly admits it. But you can’t deny he made his way to possibly the third-most powerful position in the country, and many people who watched that ascent believe it was deserved from a hard-working man with decent strategy and beliefs.

I thought the most powerful position was being part of the SF Dev Team :suspect:

Telling us how to 'rephrase' our posts and what we can't 'deny' :huh:

Be careful out there,

Big Brother is Watching 🧐

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

I thought the most powerful position was being part of the SF Dev Team :suspect:

Telling us how to 'rephrase' our posts and what we can't 'deny' :huh:

Be careful out there,

Big Brother is Watching 🧐

Eh?

What is this seeping paranoia that comes across from some people on here?

I didn’t tell anyone how to rephrase their post — merely offered a suggestion as a turn-of-phrase.

As for telling you what you can and can’t deny? It is an objective fact. Blunkett did make his way to what is widely regarded to be the third most powerful position in the country. You might believe he didn’t deserve it or that he wasn’t good in that role — which is your right and you can post your thoughts on that of course, but it is an undeniable fact that he did make his way there.

Now, there seems to be an undercurrent that just because I am involved in the development of the site and moderation that I can’t engage in some threads or offer an opinion — that is incorrect. Of course I can, and I will. Moderation is separate to that and will always be objective.

So, you’re welcome to debate and counter-point (you’re encouraged to! It’s the point of a forum!) and I won’t take differing views personally or moderate anything based on that. Moderation only comes in if site rules are broken or if someone is abusive, etc.

28 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Eh?

What is this seeping paranoia that comes across from some people on here?

I didn’t tell anyone how to rephrase their post — merely offered a suggestion as a turn-of-phrase.

As for telling you what you can and can’t deny? It is an objective fact. Blunkett did make his way to what is widely regarded to be the third most powerful position in the country. You might believe he didn’t deserve it or that he wasn’t good in that role — which is your right and you can post your thoughts on that of course, but it is an undeniable fact that he did make his way there.

Now, there seems to be an undercurrent that just because I am involved in the development of the site and moderation that I can’t engage in some threads or offer an opinion — that is incorrect. Of course I can, and I will. Moderation is separate to that and will always be objective.

So, you’re welcome to debate and counter-point (you’re encouraged to! It’s the point of a forum!) and I won’t take differing views personally or moderate anything based on that. Moderation only comes in if site rules are broken or if someone is abusive, etc.

Didn't tell, but offered a suggestion  :huh:

Of course you can offer an opinion.

The opinion  Michael Jackson was the best artist in the world because he sold the most records  is often quoted, but can it be undeniable?

Of course it can.

Question while we're here.

Why can't we edit (our own work) once something has been posted.

The opportunity to revise spelling or correct something was important.

I'm glad you don't take things personally.

No slight was intended.

Keep up the good work.

Rocker 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Didn't tell, but offered a suggestion  :huh:

Of course you can offer an opinion.

The opinion  Michael Jackson was the best artist in the world because he sold the most records  is often quoted, but can it be undeniable?

Of course it can.

Question while we're here.

Why can't we edit (our own work) once something has been posted.

The opportunity to revise spelling or correct something was important.

I'm glad you don't take things personally.

No slight was intended.

Keep up the good work.

Rocker 8)

You can edit a post for up to a minute after posting.

The edit function is really only for minor immediate edits.

But — it is part of some testing of various things so might be changed (extended) in the near future. 👍

17 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

You can edit a post for up to a minute after posting.

The edit function is really only for minor immediate edits.

But — it is part of some testing of various things so might be changed (extended) in the near future. 👍

It would be nice if you did extend the edit time slightly in the future.

As Rockers rule said keep up the good work.

• Like 2

The most influencial Sheffielder is Sir John Fowler, not just because he was responsible for the Wicker Arches, the Forth Railway bridge, the first London Underground Railway etc. but because he ended the catastrophic failures and bankruptcies caused by solo engineers like Brunel. He invented the concept of 'design and build' where an engineering project was completed by a team which included architects, structural and civil engineers, contractors, suppliers etc. whose combined expertise together was far greater and more successful than individuals like I K Brunel or G Stephenson. This is how major projects are built and managed today.  

• Like 2