Why Don't People Use The Sheffield Connect Bus?

1 minute ago, BigAl1 said:

good question but then you might ask if the announcements on the trams in the center of town to change here for.... are really necessary but it would be cheap and easy publicity for the service

No it isn't.

On 20/02/2024 at 08:48, HeHasRisen said:

Its very odd because when the original free city centre loop bus was withdrawn, there was untold levels of crying on here about it.

Sheffield City Centre was very different then. We had more shops and the city centre attracted footfall that spanned from the bottom of The Moor to Waingate. 

On 20/02/2024 at 08:58, SheffieldForum said:

My personal issue with the Connect bus is that I’ve no idea where it stops. I’ve never consciously seen one running and not noticed any signs for stops or anything, so I’d have to do a bit of research as to where it actually is and where it goes.

It runs from Sheffield Interchange, up to Leopold Street and round the back roads, up towards The Moor and then on to Paternoster Row. It's a great oversight not to have it running to the railway station, where it may actually see significant usage.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sheffield City Centre was very different then. We had more shops and the city centre attracted footfall that spanned from the bottom of The Moor to Waingate. 

It runs from Sheffield Interchange, up to Leopold Street and round the back roads, up towards The Moor and then on to Paternoster Row. It's a great oversight not to have it running to the railway station, where it may actually see significant usage.

This 'great oversight' has been explained to you before - there is a tram service from Sheffield Station to the city centre, or a bus service from the Interchange.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

This 'great oversight' has been explained to you before - there is a tram service from Sheffield Station to the city centre, or a bus service from the Interchange.

Not to mention the difficulties of the turning circle & traffic at busy times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I am a retired transport worker. I don't need anything explaining to me. The Interchange is not the railway station. If SYMCA want a complimentary bus service to be attractive to people visiting the city centre, it makes sense to have a direct service linking on site from the railway station, to the Interchange and to the shops/art galleries/bars/restaurants. There is space in the drop off section of the station forecourt for a bus stop. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I am a retired transport worker. I don't need anything explaining to me. The Interchange is not the railway station. If SYMCA want a complimentary bus service to be attractive to people visiting the city centre, it makes sense to have a direct service linking on site from the railway station, to the Interchange and to the shops/art galleries/bars/restaurants. There is space in the drop off section of the station forecourt for a bus stop. 

You are not to retired transport worker. You served sandwiches from a trolley on behalf of a contract catering company. 

You have about as much insight into the inner workings of transport infrastructure as a cleaner who mops the bogs at Heathrow.

Now, just to drag you back to reality in your nonsense.   The Sheffield Connect uses stop SS2 on Paternoster Row which is literary across the road from the railway station forecourt.  It forms part of a well planned circular route which would be wholly disrupted if you expect the bus to go weaving its way onto the station itself battling with all the cars trying to get into the car park, drop off zones and taxi rank.  

The old freebie bus didn't go right to the station doorway and neither does this one. Hardly a great problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

But, it’s an interchange. 

By the very definition it is there for people to change from trains to buses, is it not? That’s why it is close to the train station.

The interchange IS the bus stop for the station?!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Resident said:

Not to mention the difficulties of the turning circle & traffic at busy times. 

Exactly - but as the 'retired transport worker' below is so clever, she should be aware of this.

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

You are a 'retired' customer service assistant on the railway. The Sheffield Connect service was a vanity project dreamt up by  Terry Fox and Da n Jarvis. As stated the tram service is already a direct link to the city centre, and the mini-bus (maybe to become standard) is not designed for that purpose - if it is designed for any purpose at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

You pulled a trolley of sandwiches up and down a train. You weren't a conductor or a driver. You were a shop worker. 

The only way you make space for a bus pickup/drop off is to remove the taxi rank and the current set down. 

• Like 1