Could It Possible To Restore The Tram Line Down To The Moor?

1 minute ago, Andy_terrier said:

Why in the scenario of fulfilling a transport link does the tram have to go down fargate/the moor? Send it down Arundel Gate to Moorfoot. Also I don't agree it only works for people on a tram route. It links the bottom of the shopping area to the top. I would also make it cheap. 50p a ride and part of the full price single ticket if that was practical. 

You already have buses going down there.

Yes to all points all over the city. It's not exactly easy to navigate that to the shopping area for visitors to the city or for people on whatever route spurs down there as they would have to get off, find the right stop etc. it's about looking for a simple solution in my eyes. I don't know how good the freebee bus is but that's what we have to provide the same?

4 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

Yes to all points all over the city. It's not exactly easy to navigate that to the shopping area for visitors to the city or for people on whatever route spurs down there as they would have to get off, find the right stop etc. it's about looking for a simple solution in my eyes. I don't know how good the freebee bus is but that's what we have to provide the same?

Don't quite follow you, TBH, but this 69 year-old doesn't have many problems finding his way around a new town/city.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So - again, because no-one has answered this yet - how do you do this, bearing in mind what is already planned and under construction on Fargate?

And costs. Plus, to do what has been suggested would entail the complete reconstruction of the line in the Cathedral/High Street area, disregarding the fact that there is insufficient room for the tram to turn onto Fargate anyway - the design/construction of the vehicles mean they cannot handle anything much more than a very gentle curve - shall we add in the cost of designing, building and buying complete new rolling-stock?

Only the OP has suggested Fargate/Moor itself - everyone else, myself included has said that was unlikely to work for most of the reasons you & Planner1 have stated.

13 hours ago, Planner1 said:

There was A LOT of long term disruption. Installing a tram system in a city centre isn’t easy. Many of the buried utilities have to be diverted. There are big open excavations for a long time. Access is difficult. Businesses suffer. 

Construction techniques have improved a bit since then, but you are not going to be able to install a tram up Fargate without a huge amount of disruption.

Acceptability to the public and local businesses and organisations would be a major factor that decision makers ( Mayor and councillors) would need to consider if they wanted to do something like this.

Yes - but we did do it, right? We did still push ahead with the tram despite all the difficulties you've listed, and cities are still building and expanding systems today, all because the long-term benefits - if the systems are managed correctly - outweigh everything else, right?

13 hours ago, RollingJ said:

disregarding the fact that there is insufficient room for the tram to turn onto Fargate anyway - the design/construction of the vehicles mean they cannot handle anything much more than a very gentle curve

I wonder what the sharpest turn on the tram network is?

Upper Hanover Street / Glossop Road perhaps?

Or Park Grange Road / City Road?

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

I wonder what the sharpest turn on the tram network is?

Upper Hanover Street / Glossop Road perhaps?

Or Park Grange Road / City Road?

I don't know the first you quote - not somewhere I really visit, but from memory when I've been up to White Lane, PGR/CR is nothing like the turn from/to High Street/Fargate.

29 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Yes - but we did do it, right? We did still push ahead with the tram despite all the difficulties you've listed, and cities are still building and expanding systems today, all because the long-term benefits - if the systems are managed correctly - outweigh everything else, right?

Yes indeed there are benefits to having a tram. 

If you ask some of the businesses who said they suffered or went bust as a result of the tram construction disruption or the changes the tram network brought, they might disagree on whether it was worth it.

It’s fine to speculate on where it might get extended to, but best temper expectations with a bit of reality. The reality is that previous requests to fund extensions here have been rejected by government as they didn’t offer good value for money.

Also, there are other districts in the city region and they would also like to have the benefits of a tram, so any eventual extensions might well not be here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know the first you quote - not somewhere I really visit

If I may be so bold, you've voiced a lot of very confident analysis on this thread on what the tram is and isn't capable of for someone who 'doesn't know' one of it's most obvious and well known tight corners.

Anyway, the OP suggested their new line would accommodate an extended purple route, which would suggest they only meant their new line would link up with the High Street on the eastern side of the junction with Fargate, i.e. coming from Castle Square and turning left in to Fargate, and vice-versa. No suggestion of a turn that links it with the Cathedral station & beyond - a turn which would indeed probably be too tight for the tram to make.

Another reason Arundel Gate would be a better option - Castle Square to Arundel Gate (from either direction) would be a 90 degree angle and more space to fit in the turn (the turning circle of the more recent class tram - used on the tram-train to Parkgate - is 22m according to wikipedia.

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know the first you quote - not somewhere I really visit, but from memory when I've been up to White Lane, PGR/CR is nothing like the turn from/to High Street/Fargate.

Turn from High St to Fargate would be far less than Park Grange to City Rd . That’s about a 90 degree turn.