Changes To Stagecoach Tram Tickets From 22/03/24

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

And - again - what's the problem in letting someone who deserves a concession have one. It is only spiteful to get into a -tit-for-tat about whether it is reciprocated or not. I personally don't care what other authorities do, I would like to see our authority do the right thing. Hopefully the other authorities would follow suit based on our shining example (and if they don't then we should shame them about it).

It's a nice idea but it's unfair that we pay for travel for other areas' ENCTS holders when they won't do the same for ours, such as Manchester which even has the cheek to charge a £1 'tourist tax' for guests staying in hotels.

Other areas have had years to follow suit and haven't. West Yorkshire has long allowed some ENCTS holders rail travel on direct Northern services but they don't have a tram network. I do hope that West Yorkshire ENCTS holders get reciprocal treatment in SY but I'm not au fait with those arrangements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

ENCTS was never allocated to any area to fund rail travel, this was paid for by reducing the amount paid to bus companies, the only legitimate recipients of the payment.

It's unfair to say they are the only legitimate recipients, all operators who have an official agreement with the local authorities and His Majesty's Government are legitimate. 

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

It's a nice idea but it's unfair that we pay for travel for other areas' ENCTS holders when they won't do the same for ours, such as Manchester which even has the cheek to charge a £1 'tourist tax' for guests staying in hotels.

Other areas have had years to follow suit and haven't. West Yorkshire has long allowed some ENCTS holders rail travel on direct Northern services but they don't have a tram network. I do hope that West Yorkshire ENCTS holders get reciprocal treatment in SY but I'm not au fait with those arrangements.

But - why shouldn't we?

If we have a fundamental belief that somebody should be entitled to a concession because of disability or age or whatever, and that concession can be proven by a card or other means, then that's that for me. I don't think it is fair to exclude somebody based on them being from 'just out of the area' or 'just visiting' or whatever.

We're doing the right thing honouring it, and that is a good thing! It's just a spiteful tit-for-tat beyond that. Let's lead the way. Your complaint should be with other authorities, not ours.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

But - why shouldn't we?

If we have a fundamental belief that somebody should be entitled to a concession because of disability or age or whatever, and that concession can be proven by a card or other means, then that's that for me. I don't think it is fair to exclude somebody based on them being from 'just out of the area' or 'just visiting' or whatever.

We're doing the right thing honouring it, and that is a good thing! It's just a spiteful tit-for-tat beyond that. Let's lead the way. Your complaint should be with other authorities, not ours.

I believe that charity starts at home and we should look after our own. I think a fair compromise is honouring the concessionary ENCTS bus travel to persons from all areas (09:30 - 23:00 only). The Supertram is a premium mode of transport that the people of Sheffield are taxed on the infrastructure for and many will remember suffering the diversions and road works for it in the 1990s. The Supertram business is also in debt and it is rumoured that other SY towns and cities, such as Barnsley will be helping to pay off this debt. Seats on the Supertram should be for South Yorkshire ENCTS holders and those who are buying a ticket and putting money in to the system to help mitigate that debt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Are people from outside our area not 'our own'?

They are not our own. They are visitors and visitors are welcome but why should we provide something that isn't reciprocated? Kindness is a two way street. Your other point about disabled people I feel is moving on to a wider issue, one that centres more around Parliament. For what it's worth, I think disabled people should be paid the national living wage and be treated much better by the government system. But in the context of Supertram and Sheffield transport, if other PTEs aren't willing to arrange a reciprocal arrangement, I don't see why the SYMCA should be a doormat for other authorities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

They are not our own. They are visitors and visitors are welcome but why should we provide something that isn't reciprocated? Kindness is a two way street. Your other point about disabled people I feel is moving on to a wider issue, one that centres more around Parliament. For what it's worth, I think disabled people should be paid the national living wage and be treated much better by the government system. But in the context of Supertram and Sheffield transport, if other PTEs aren't willing to arrange a reciprocal arrangement, I don't see why the SYMCA should be a doormat for other authorities.

It isn't about being a doormat, it is about doing the right thing for people and leading by example.

Your issue is with what the other authorities are/are not doing, not with what our authority rightly is.

On 22/02/2024 at 09:15, Annie Bynnol said:

I assume it means the current ticket machines around South Yorkshire. There is some discussion about  how more machines/outlets etc. could be introduced. 

The platform machines were not too successful last time.

They were reliant on 1994 technology. One had to buy a generic ticket and timestamp it in a validator machine on departure. The machines regularly were vandalised, particularly at Gleadless Townend and Herdings Park. Fare evasion was also rife with people risking it when they could see no Revenue Officer onboard. Just before Stagecoach came in, Conductors were introduced and the rest is history. 

It's doubtful that they will ever go back to the old way of ticket vending machines on platforms. Conductors will have the support of the unions at the slightest mention of job cuts and TVMs can fail where as a conductor with a satchel full of coins can't. 

• Like 2

On 20/02/2024 at 16:47, Annie Bynnol said:

Has a decision been made over the withdrawal of free Supertram travel for ENCTS senior users?  Will it be In line with other metro/tram operators who only subsidize their own residents?

Seniors ENCT S pass holder from all over the country can use SuperTram for free, we cannot use theirs for free. 

Originally Stagecoach Supertram  insisted that all senior (now ENCTS) holders would receive free subsidized(by South Yorkshire) travel to protect revenue. This was part of the contract. As this contract is ending can we now stop paying for free tram travel for residents of other counties?

I realise the above post is going back a bit, but with where this thread has gone recently I would point out that up here in Tyne and Wear the ENCTS pass isn’t valid on the Metro, our version of the Supertram. However as a local I can upgrade my ENCTS pass for validity on the Metro for £12 a year. That has to be the bargain of the year. A non local such as your good selves you can upgrade for £24 a year.
Also in July and August and between Xmas and new year the 9:30 start time Monday to Friday is waived.

All in all a very satisfactory arrangement methinks.

• Like 2

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's unfair to say they are the only legitimate recipients, all operators who have an official agreement with the local authorities and His Majesty's Government are legitimate. 

you are fluent in rubbish. the money is paid on behalf of the national government  by the local authorities, they are trusted to pay it correctly but in many cases do not.,