'Beginning Of The End' As Assange Case Returns To Court

Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder, has been in prison for nearly 5 years, fighting a U.S. extradition order. A hearing is his last chance to be granted an appeal in Britain.

Since 2019, Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, has been held in a high security prison in southeast London while his lawyers fight a U.S. extradition order. Now, that particular battle may be nearing its end.

On Tuesday, Mr. Assange’s case returned to a British court for a two-day hearing that will determine whether he has exhausted his right to appeal within the U.K. and whether he could be one step closer to being sent to the United States.

5 years in Belmarsh without charge.

So much for freedom and democracy eh?

Your thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/20/world/europe/assange-us-extradition-uk-court-case.html

4 minutes ago, cressida said:

Like a dog with a bone,  is the U.S.  leaning on the government?

Yeah, America dosent like it when Their war crimes are exposed. They'll do whatever it takes to keep them hidden. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder, has been in prison for nearly 5 years, fighting a U.S. extradition order. A hearing is his last chance to be granted an appeal in Britain.

Since 2019, Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, has been held in a high security prison in southeast London while his lawyers fight a U.S. extradition order. Now, that particular battle may be nearing its end.

On Tuesday, Mr. Assange’s case returned to a British court for a two-day hearing that will determine whether he has exhausted his right to appeal within the U.K. and whether he could be one step closer to being sent to the United States.

Your thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/20/world/europe/assange-us-extradition-uk-court-case.html

He is not wanted in the UK so why would the UK government charge him?  It is Assange's choice  to be in a UK prison because he chose to fight extradition. Assange has cost the UK taxpayer millions and he should have been extradited to face justice many years ago. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Yeah, America dosent like it when Their war crimes are exposed. They'll do whatever it takes to keep them hidden. 

Worth a read, all the way through I think; these are a couple of excerpts

Exclusive: Ken Loach calls out Sir Keir Starmer, what were his dealings in the Julian Assange case

When you get a right-wing politician like David Davis saying Julian Assange is a political prisoner, everyone knows it, the Guardian knows it who took his stories then disowned him, the BBC knows it, Channel 4 news, every serious editor current affairs programme, of a national newspaper ‘knows this is the truth’ and yet they are silent the journalist are silent, the lawyers are silent.”

As DPP, Sir Keir Starmer tempered his supposed love of liberty by fast-tracking the extradition of Julian Assange (a process now making its way through the courts).

He flouted legal precedents by advising Swedish lawyers not to question Assange in Britain: a decision that prolonged the latter’s legal purgatory denied closure to his accusers in Sweden and sealed his fate before a US show trial.

Leaked emails from August 2012 show that, when the Swedish legal team expressed hesitancy about keeping Assange’s case open, Sir Keir’s office replied: ‘Don’t you dare get cold feet’.

Re. The Guardian; it was noticeable how some of their news reporting changed following the Edward Snowden exposé; I wonder what other conditions were quietly imposed upon them, and whether any relayed to WikiLeaks?
https://theintercept.com/2015/08/26/way-gchq-obliterated-guardians-laptops-revealed-intended/

The day GCHQ came to call on the Guardian

In this exclusive extract from his book on Edward Snowden, Luke Harding gives the inside take on what happened when British agents ordered the destruction of Guardian computers

This one made it into print, though it may raise more questions than answers.
When Nigel Farage met Julian Assange

Why did Ukip’s ex-leader want to slip in unnoticed to meet the WikiLeaks chief at the Ecuadorian embassy?

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Your thoughts?

IMO Assange has done nothing wrong other than tell some uncomfortable truths that embarrased the Americans. He should never have been put in prison in the first place.

As time has gone on I would like to think that the general population is at least more aware of the iniquities of many governments around the world. Britain and America are no exception and can no longer claim the moral high ground that they once laid claim to. 

• Like 2

I accept that this is a slightly off-beat web site, and Craig Murray isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this link is quite useful as it does contain much traceable factual material

Craig Murray – Julian Assange Trial: State Secrecy and Public Hearings

Do bear in mind this is supposed to be a public hearing, and it looks like at least some of those promised internet access to it have found they can't view it.
I understand the scheduled court has only 15 seats in the public gallery, and another 32 in a different room where a televised (or audio??) version is shown.

"Remember, as that document says, this is a “public hearing”. You have to apply for permission to watch it and state WHY you want to watch it.

Presumably “It is a public hearing. By law it has to be public” is not a sufficient reason. There is no guarantee at all that you will be given permission.

You have to be in England or Wales to watch. Applications from Scotland and Northern Ireland will “not normally be granted”.

Despite the fact it is the UK government which is extraditing Julian under a UK–USA extradition treaty, not an England and Wales–USA extradition treaty.

Julian is an Australian citizen. But you are not “normally” permitted to watch in Australia.

It is the United States government which is seeking to extradite Julian. But citizens of the United States will not “normally” be permitted to view online."

From Twitter earlier, rather than producing a huge screenshot

Craig Murray @ CraigMurrayOrg
"I am heading to the High Court now at 06.15.
I have a confession - this time a volunteer has been queuing for me. 
We still don't know if we will get in.
As of last night Julian still did not know if he will be allowed to attend his own hearing or not.
My application for online access was simply ignored."

6:19 AM · Feb 20, 2024

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

IMO Assange has done nothing wrong other than tell some uncomfortable truths that embarrased the Americans. He should never have been put in prison in the first place.

As time has gone on I would like to think that the general population is at least more aware of the iniquities of many governments around the world. Britain and America are no exception and can no longer claim the moral high ground that they once laid claim to. 

I agree.  we need more of his kind to warn us our,  and our allies  governments,  attempts to cover up their own wrongdoings, secrecy and corruption.

None of them are whiter than white and I salute brave people who will risk a government's wrath to tell the truth when it matters.

Truth is everything  and there is precious little about.