Tesco Infirmary Road Car Park

9 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Like I have said it is not the new restrictions I have an issue with, although like Longcol I have never seen the car park anything like full, it is the lack of adequate publicity that the rules have changed. Yes they have the standard signs at the entrances and around the car park but how many regular users of a car park will think to read them just in case there has been a change.

What "publicity" do you think is sufficient in this case then? 

Put it on receipts? Nobody reads those either, and most people dont even bother.

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 20/02/2024 at 15:56, BigAl1 said:

For as long as I can remember the car park at infirmary road sheffield has allowed virtually unlimited parking time. Suddenly with no announcement the parking time has been reduced to only 2 hours.

I know it is contracted out to a private company but I can not for the life of me understand why either Tesco or the company has not put out big signs at the two  entrances warning drivers of the change. Does anyone really expect customers who have been using the car park for years to study the parking rules every visit just in case they are changed?

Typically the response I got from the customer services was the car parking is out sourced so there is nothing we can do when of course there is. This  quite frankly is astonishing as it is  loyal Tesco customers who will be fined and of course Tesco could erect the signs or force the contractor to do so.

I sincerely hope Tesco will pay the fines for all unsuspecting customers who have fallen foul of the new rules until large warning signs are placed at both entrances.

I have no issues with the reduction in time allowed just the crass disregard for customers

You mean these signs? (Circled in red for your convenience). These ones are only the ones visible from Albert Terrace Road. via StreetView.  There are equally visible signs from Montgomery Terrace using the same method. 

If you don't see multiple bright blue signs appear in a car park where previously there weren't any then I wonder if you should be behind the wheel of a car given your observational skills are severely lacking. 

Also, the image attached was taken in July 2023 so they've been there a good 7 months, dispelling your assertion that it was 'sudden' 

tesir.png

Edited by Resident
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Maybe he is expecting a full TV advertising campaign, maybe a series of billboards through the city. Not sure what he is expecting.

You reckon we could get SCC to do that for bus gates too? 

On 20/02/2024 at 23:01, metalman said:

Morrisons at Hillsborough is one example, I think.

Can't remember seeing charges for parking  at the big Tesco's between Spital Hill / Saville Street or the Morrisons at Catcliffe either. Not been to either in the last year but usually call at one or t'other on our journey back to the ferry to France to stock up with goodies like Hendies, cranberry sauce, Tetley tea bags, Hellmans Mayo etc.

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

Can't remember seeing charges for parking  at the big Tesco's between Spital Hill / Saville Street or the Morrisons at Catcliffe either. Not been to either in the last year but usually call at one or t'other on our journey back to the ferry to France to stock up with goodies like Hendies, cranberry sauce, Tetley tea bags, Hellmans Mayo etc.

Spital Hill one has signs up, relatively sure on that 

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

You reckon we could get SCC to do that for bus gates too? 

No matter how widely you publicise something, people will claim they never saw it.

On bus gates, when the council introduce enforcement at one, they have a period of weeks where they give out warning notices instead of fines, so people who use the route frequently  will get a warning. 

The signs are big and very obvious and have to be compliant with government signing regulations in order to be enforceable.

If people want to appeal a fine there’s a regulated process that includes the appeal being heard by a completely independent adjudicator ( a barrister). My experience of adjudicators is that they tend to allow an appeal if there is any reason at all they can find to let the motorist off. Many appeals are successful.

The picture on private land parking enforcement is rather different and not a great comparison.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Resident said:

You mean these signs? (Circled in red for your convenience). These ones are only the ones visible from Albert Terrace Road. via StreetView.  There are equally visible signs from Montgomery Terrace using the same method. 

If you don't see multiple bright blue signs appear in a car park where previously there weren't any then I wonder if you should be behind the wheel of a car given your observational skills are severely lacking. 

Also, the image attached was taken in July 2023 so they've been there a good 7 months, dispelling your assertion that it was 'sudden' 

tesir.png

Unfortunately the signs you show have all been changed (perhaps proving my point) as the restrictions were altered this year with a two hour limit imposed. As I have said regular users are unlikely to have noticed the change . I would argue that the signs at the entrance should not be the standard signs elsewhere in the car park but should be designed to draw attention to the fact the rules have changed

8 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Unfortunately the signs you show have all been changed (perhaps proving my point) as the restrictions were altered this year with a two hour limit imposed. As I have said regular users are unlikely to have noticed the change . I would argue that the signs at the entrance should not be the standard signs elsewhere in the car park but should be designed to draw attention to the fact the rules have changed

Those signs (that were there for at least three years, according to Street View) do state maximum 3 hour stay though, not the ‘virtually unlimited’ you originally posted.

Not defending Tesco here, by the way — just pointing out that it hasn’t been unlimited time for a very long time.