Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)

For obvious reasons I do not venture into Sheffield City Centre unless it is absolutely necessary.  Unfortunately yesterday was one of those days :(

I was driving along Arundel Gate and just past the roundabout is now a bus-gate? Because of a coach blocking the hotel u-turn i had to reverse back into the crossing to manoeuvre onto other-side of the road. This planning is beyond absurd.

The new architecture in all cities is mostly appalling. But those apartments on Pinstone Street are IMO the most hideous.  I'm all for trying new wacky designs but these monstrosities!? Who in their right would approve these?

I was defensive of the council when they bulldozed an old Victorian pub. Now I see why so many folk wanted to save it.

1 hour ago, 26b-6 said:

For obvious reasons I do not venture into Sheffield City Centre unless it is absolutely necessary.  Unfortunately yesterday was one of those days :(

I was driving along Arundel Gate and just past the roundabout is now a bus-gate? Because of a coach blocking the hotel u-turn i had to reverse back into the crossing to manoeuvre onto other-side of the road. This planning is beyond absurd.

The new architecture in all cities is mostly appalling. But those apartments on Pinstone Street are IMO the most hideous.  I'm all for trying new wacky designs but these monstrosities!? Who in their right would approve these?

I was defensive of the council when they bulldozed an old Victorian pub. Now I see why so many folk wanted to save it.

So basically you didn’t observe the signs that told you a bus gate was ahead and it’s the council’s fault?

What would you have them do? Provide several turning facilities in case someone blocks one?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

There are countless signs leading up to there that tell you its a bus gate, well before you get to the bus gate itself.

And a thread on SF from last year as well.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/481977-arundel-gate-northbound-getting-a-bus-gate/#comments

I live 700 miles away from Sheffield and knew about it from SF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest busdriver1

There are actually better warnings on all the approaches to Sheffield. They look like this 

download.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Personally I don't get why they haven't just done the bus gate between set hours... Leeds is a prime example of this where it is put to good use. 

A good argument against that it it's just another thing to confuse the motorist, some don't even see signs ffs (see opening post) , let alone ones that have hours printed on them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A good argument against that it it's just another thing to confuse the motorist, some don't even see signs ffs (see opening post) , let alone ones that have hours printed on them.

I’d agree with this. For consistency, 24/7 restrictions are better.

Motorists often cite that they are “confused” by signings or restrictions like bus lanes or gates when appealing against penalties, so making them apply at all times removes that factor.

• Like 1

You only have to see the bus lane on Woodseats/Chesterfield Rd past Homebase to see this in action. Everyone at 1pm in the second lane, nowhere near the first, while I sail past them all because none of them can read the signs. 

• Like 3

The best thing to do with bus gates would be to put a standard No Entry sign in place, people take notice of these. Putting an array of multi word signs up is not ideal when you're trying to navigate traffic and are unfamiliar with the area.