Sheffield City Centre's Bus Gate? (Arundel Gate)

7 hours ago, Resident said:

How many will say the roadworks made it unclear? 

Unfortunately it will cause major disruption to public transport as there are a vast number of services running through. 

All because certain drivers can't or won't read the signs. 

I'd be more up for the gate being removed and a no entry gate (with an exception plate for buses only). 

That way it becomes criminal rather than civil and violators get 3 points with the fine too. 

Totally unnecessary - the current signage is already more than enough, anyone who can't read it should be nowhere near a vehicle, their eyesight is plainly defective.

I don't know why they didn't go for the highlighted option at the start - much less disruptive and unsightly.

• Like 1

Re the 'bus gate' - I did read, on a more informative site, that if and when they sort the bus stop situation on the s-bound side of Arundel Gate, the situation will be reversed - i.e. the 'gate' will move to the Fitzalan Square end of Arundel. Can't find it easily this morning, but I will have another look later.

Found the info:

Leopold Street/Pinstone Street was closed permanently by SCC. Not ever going to re-open, same for Surrey Street.

SYMCA are not going to pay money themselves to remove the redundant shelters, disconnect them from the local power grid and remove them. To connect to the national grid per shelter is £22k alone. I believe its waiting on funding from SCC and works/plans have just been drawn up for new bus shelters on Arundel Gate, along with a new outbound bus gate on Furnival Gate.

As part of this works, the bus lane will be flipped on Arundel Gate, with 2 new shelters provided opposite the library and 1 new shelter provided at AG12. This is also related to the new shipping container development between the o2 Academy and Odeon. The current AG123 stop will be removed, with I believe the 75/76, 76A, 86, 97/98 moving to AG9 and the 20, 24/25 moving to the improved AG12 alongside existing 43/43A, 44, X17 services. This will keep Chesterfield Road services on one stop and also allow the Woodseats services to be better spaced with bus stops next to each other.

There will also be the new SC1/SC2 city centre shuttle routes that are fully funded by Sheffield City Council, operating around most parts of the city centre to link up interchange points etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why not do this in the first place  ?

It has been planned from the start (it was in the initial Connecting Sheffield consultation in 2020ish) — similarly, the removal of Furnival Gate Roundabout too — they just haven’t reached the stage of doing them yet I believe.

53 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

It has been planned from the start (it was in the initial Connecting Sheffield consultation in 2020ish) — similarly, the removal of Furnival Gate Roundabout too — they just haven’t reached the stage of doing them yet I believe.

Or they needed a year of fines to fund it . 

10 hours ago, Resident said:

I'd be more up for the gate being removed and a no entry gate (with an exception plate for buses only). 

That way it becomes criminal rather than civil and violators get 3 points with the fine too. 

The problem with this is that only the police can enforce it and they are generally busy doing other things, so actual enforcement would be very infrequent.

Once drivers realise this, the restriction offers very little deterrence and won’t achieve its aim of keeping general traffic out.

Thats why we have decriminalised enforcement by automatic camera. It’s much more efficient at catching and penalising offenders and frees up police and court time.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know why they didn't go for the highlighted option at the start - much less disruptive and unsightly.

Because, believe it or not, they actually consider enforceability when they put these restrictions in.

The police have other fish to fry and won’t be able to dedicate Officer time to enforcing a bus gate. ( And they tell the council this too)

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Because, believe it or not, they actually consider enforceability when they put these restrictions in.

The police have other fish to fry and won’t be able to dedicate Officer time to enforcing a bus gate. ( And they tell the council this too)

OK. I suppose that is a reasonable 'reason', although you rarely see a police officer actually on the streets these days - probably too busy filling in paperwork.

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why not do this in the first place  ?

Highway projects are often delivered in phases, usually because of the availability of funding, or the timescales within which the funding has to be spent. ( central government often impose very tight timescales for funding pots).